Midnight Madness celebrates Biola athletics

During Midnight Madness Biolans were treated to performances by the cheerleaders and XPOC.

Job Ang

The Biola Men’s soccer team made their debut along with other Biola sports teams during Midnight Madness on Nov. 13, 2011. Hundreds of prospective and enrolled students attended the forty-seven minute rally, where the Kings Men, the Biola Cheer team, and Xopoc all preformed. | Job Ang/THE CHIMES

Amber Amaya, Writer

Despite starting a few minutes late, Midnight Madness kicked off with a bang. Streams of screaming prospective and current students rushed into Chase Gymnasium around 11:12 p.m. to try and get a prime spot for the event. Energy filled the gym as students entered and were met by dancing cheerleaders and the Biola Eagle.

The King’s Men started things off by singing the national anthem, then each of Biola’s sports teams were introduced. Music was pumping thorough the whole gymnasium as each sports team ran out into the middle of the gym. After team introductions the cheerleaders and XPOC performed for the enthusiastic crowd.

“It was great,” said prospective student Allyssa Hebbard. “I really liked the dance group.”

Differences in this year’s event

A couple of things were different at this year’s Midnight Madness. A video of Moses, the Eagle, conquering rival schools was shown on various screens, whereas in the past it has been a live event. Also, the shootout this year was a combination of upper campus versus lower campus and men versus women. In the end, the men, who shot for lower campus, beat the women and upper campus in the shootout.

After the three point shootout, names were drawn from the boxes and several students were called to shoot as many free throws as they could in 30 seconds in order to win the prize, an Apple iPad. Before the doors had opened, students were given the chance to enter the raffle by filling out a piece of paper and sticking it in their dorm’s box.

XPOC impresses crowd

XPOC helped close the event by performing a routine to a mix of several artists ranging from Beyonce to Chris Brown. After XPOC’s performance, a countdown ended the night as red and white confetti rained down on the crowd of students that had rushed the court.

“School spirit was really there,” said prospective student Julia Ibrahim. “It gave me a feel of what Biola is like in sports and extracurriculars.”