Students, faculty celebrate launch of “The Dominican Dream”

On Nov. 10, journalism students and faculty celebrated the completion of the newest narrative book project, “The Dominican Dream.”

6th Street PR hosted a book completion celebration in honor of the students who created and published a book about baseball and the Dominican Republic though the Journalism Department on Nov. 10, 2011. Biola 6th Street PR’s staff member and Biola senior, Sheena Boyd presented Dr. Corey with a photograph of the team that traveled to the Dominican Republic over spring break in 2011. | Katie Juranek/THE CHIMES

Abbey Bennett, Writer

Note of disclosure: As a student in the journalism department, I personally know many of the students and professors mentioned in the article. However, to the best of my ability, I have not deviated from their quotes and facts to implement my own subjectivity.

Students, staff and family members gathered to celebrate the newest narrative book project from Biola’s journalism department on Thursday, Nov. 10. The book celebration, held in Giumarra Courtyard, gave the students involved an opportunity to recount stories and display the final project. After months of research, weeks of hard work, and many days spent traveling, “The Dominican Dream” is complete.

“A Passion for Baseball, a Love for Family and a Hope for the Future,” is the subtitle of the book, and perfectly illustrates the heart behind this endeavor.

The team set out to record the stories of the Dominican children who have high aspirations and major-league-level goals. Professional baseball players here in the U.S., such as Albert Pujols, Ramon Troncoso and Alex Rodriguez, have come directly from the Dominican.

Book launch showcases student work

The courtyard was transformed into a gallery, showcasing the photography and literary work produced by the team. Photos captured the smiles and actions of the ambitious children in the Dominican Republic and the engaging writing accompanied and portrayed the details of their stories.

President Barry Corey congratulated the team and encouraged them with words from Isaiah 58.

“We are called to be repairers of the breach,” Corey said. “This is profoundly done in the vocation of journalism.”

Corey was presented with a signed photograph of the team members by Sheena Boyd, junior journalism student. Biola’s student-run public relations firm, 6th Street PR, planned this event under the leadership of Boyd and adviser Carolyn Kim.

Project began last spring

Michael Longinow, professor and journalism department chair, spoke on behalf of the department and the team. He reflected on the heart-wrenching sights and stories that the students had shared with him and congratulated them on a job well done.

“Your hearts have been broken and that’s a good thing,” Longinow said.

The majority of the writing and photography included in the book was started and completed in the short span of nine days spent in the Dominican during last year’s spring break.

Students acknowledge God’s influence in project

Three students shared accounts of their favorite memories in the Dominican. Alumna and former editor-in-chief of The Chimes Katie Watson described her anxiety as all the specifics did not come together quickly. This led to seeing God fulfill his promises in her life and in the team.

“God knit together the details,” Watson said.

The team acknowledged that the entire trip would not have been possible without God’s presence and his Spirit leading them. Watson recounted the many times they were led to drop to their knees in prayer.

“God grew our trust in him,” Watson said.

Elizabeth Mak, a writer for the book and a senior journalism student, said she was exiting a dark time in her life when the trip began. She saw the Lord carry her throughout the entire trip.

“I am so weak, but God is so faithful,” Mak said.

The final student to share her story was Jamie Corder, a junior journalism major. Corder wanted to go on the trip to put into practice her heart for the marginalized. She explained that Christians carry a spirit of justice and this was her motivation.

“We made heart-level connections,” Corder said. “And the most beautiful stories came from those.”

Team celebrates friendships, memories made in the Dominican Republic

As a team, many memories were made and barriers broken. Over 20 people often squeezed into a small 15-passenger van, so personal space could not be an issue. Due to the language barrier, they saw the blessing of having great translators, according to Corder.

Corder shared about a day when they were busy writing and working on the book when all of a sudden it started to downpour. They all dropped what they were doing and ran outside. Within seconds they were completely soaked.

“Dancing in the Dominican rain brought such joy and freedom,” Corder said.

The book celebration caused those in attendance to reflect on the “whole trip [as] a beautiful experience,” Corder said.