Fact of the Week: open hours

Open hours differ between residence halls, apartments and Thompson.

Getting the facts straight: Open Hours. | Katie Juranek/THE CHIMES

Abbey Bennett, Writer

Whether you have come to Biola from high school or transferred from another college or university, the dorm open hours are very specific and must be carefully studied in order to remember them. Residence Life cares for us as students here and, like all rules and regulations, there is reason and heart behind these too.

“Our purpose is really to continue to build community,” said Krista Roberts, director of Residence Life. “We also want to protect the community and to allow students to know their safety and freedom.”

Roberts went on to describe that in that, Residence Life seeks to encourage co-ed community, as well as women-only and men-only community.

So, what nights can you have your boyfriend over to study with you in Alpha? What day can you make lunch for your girlfriend if you live in Thompson? How is your door supposed to be propped open when you have visitors of the opposite gender if you live in Stewart? Your Resident Assistant (RA) and the Auxiliary Services’ website have answers if you have any more questions.

Note: Thompson has recently become a residence hall rather than an apartment. However, open hours vary from the typical residence hall due to only upperclassmen living there. “We want to honor the development of our students and to give them more privileges,” Roberts said.