Fact of the Week: dorm room protocol

Here’s how to make your dorm room ready to pass checks by Residence Life for the year.

Job Ang

A dorm room is seen in Horton with a unique set up. | Photo Illustration by Job Ang/THE CHIMES

Abbey Bennett, Writer

In the next couple weeks, between Sept. 12 and 23, the Residence Life staff will be walking through every dorm room to make sure you are following protocol. There are many things you may have brought from home, and great ideas you saw at IKEA that, unfortunately, you cannot have or replicate here. This list is not complete, but is a good place to start. “The purpose of this walk-through is to ensure that various fire code, housing and facilities requirements are being met,” According to Krista Roberts, director of Residence Life.

• Extension cords cannot be used as permanent fixtures
  • Do not replace bulbs with colored lights
  • Only “poster putty” and nails given upon check-in can be used to hang pictures and decorations on your walls
  • You cannot have appliances like microwaves, rice cookers and blenders in your room
  • Halogen lamps of any size are not allowed
  • Irons can only be used in the laundry room
  • Mattresses must be on a bed frame and not on the floor
  • Make sure your electric outlets and surge protectors are not overloaded
  • Your fridge must be the right size for your building

Once Residence Life has gone through your room, they will let you know what changes need to be made. The changes Residence Life makes are not just suggestions. Failure to do so will leave you with a fine. If you have questions, let your RD/RC/RA know, and also refer to the Student Handbook.