Fact of the Week: flowers and fines

Despite the rumor, students are not fined for picking flowers.

unknown

The fifty dollar “pick a flower” fine was proven a myth, never debunked in order to encourage students to keep from picking campus flowers. | Katie Juranek/THE CHIMES

Abbey Bennett, Writer

There are beautiful flowers all over campus. When I lived in Sigma Hall, the various colored roses just outside the door always allured my roommate and me, and we often stopped to smell them. However, we heard that if we picked one, we would be charged with a $50 fine. This seemed a steep price to pay for one flower.

Upon researching this rumor, I found that the fine is actually a rumor. It is a false threat to encourage students to stay away from the flowers, according to grounds staff.
Now, this does not give you clearance to go and pick flowers all over campus! Biola’s grounds staff works very hard to maintain the flowers and other plants.

So ladies, if you’re wanting flowers to spruce up your dorm room, or men if you need a bouquet for a special someone, please leave Biola’s flowers where they belong, and find them elsewhere.

I’ll leave you with a quick tip: Head to Los Angeles and browse the flower district. You can get two dozen roses for under $10!