Water turned off for south campus

Water services on south campus will be shut down most of the day, affecting McNally classrooms and offices, but leaving dorms with water.

Mike Villa

Caution tape surrounds the area in McNally courtyard where pipe repairs will take place today, August 31. | Job Ang/THE CHIMES

Elizabeth Sallie, Writer

Water services will be shut off for south campus from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. today, Wednesday, August 31. The temporary shutdown will affect McNally campus, the Production Center, buildings in the Grove, and all athletic fields on that side of campus. Dorms, however, will not be affected.

The shutdown is to give a contractor enough time to make repairs to a pipe in the McNally courtyard closest to the Production Center, according to Andrew Foster, Building Maintenance Manager for Facilities. The 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. time frame is the maximum amount of time they expect the shutdown to take.

The pipe, currently surrounded by caution tape, has a dime-sized hole in it. It has an in-house patch on it, but the repairs made today should hold everything steady until Christmas, when a permanent solution will be reached.

For those looking for a restroom or drinking fountain near a McNally classroom, the Business building will still receive water. Because dorms will still be operating, Lower Campus dorms will provide a solution for those in the Grove.