Reported burglary near campus draws helicopter, affects road

Police vehicles and a helicopter were deployed less than a half-mile from Biola’s campus late Tuesday night, in response to a reported burglary in a neighborhood near the university.

The police activity was focused on the area between the La Mirada Blvd. and Whiterock Drive intersection and the La Mirada Blvd. and Badlona Drive intersection. | Courtesy Google Maps

Chase Andre, Writer

Updated 6:53 p.m., Wednesday, August 24:

Units received a call about a burglary in progress near Badlona and Roma Dr., explained Sgt. Harmon, the detective on the case, in a voicemail Wednesday afternoon. The caller reported that a grandmother had spotted someone in the backyard.

“The deputies responded, check the location and found no evidence of any burglary,” he said. Because there was no description given of the suspect, the department was “unable to confirm whether there was a prowler.”

Units were at the scene for about an hour, checking the location, and found nothing, said Harmon.

Around 11:45 p.m. on Tuesday, August 23, La Mirada Sheriff’s Department guarded the entrance of a neighborhood track just southeast of Biola University, restricting access to residential homes.

Officers were responding to a reported burglary, said The La Mirada Sheriff’s Department.

The intersections of La Mirada Blvd., and Whiterock Dr., and La Mirada Blvd. and Badlona Dr. were heavily covered with police surveillance. Several vehicles surveyed the residential track while a helicopter flew overhead.

By midnight, the streets were cleared and traffic was permitted residential access again.

The case was still ongoing at 12:15 a.m., according to Sgt. Mendoza of the La Mirada Sheriff’s Department. “All that I know right now is that it was reported as a burglary,” he explained. The department has no further suspect information at the time of the writing of this article.