Virtual career fair ends April 8

A virtual career fair open to Biola students ends April 8.

Cassidy Perry, Writer

Biola is giving its students the opportunity to interact with companies such as Target, Nordstrom and 24 Hour Fitness online starting April 4 and ending April 8.

Virtual career fairs are nothing new

University of La Verne created the Virtual Career Fair and is opening the fair to its partner schools, including Biola. Jennifer Mojarro, director of Career Services at University of La Verne, said that while the virtual fairs are relatively new to college campuses, companies have been hosting virtual career fairs for years.

“(The concept) is not really new … This is our third year, and last year was the first to include partner colleges,” Mojarro said.

Challenges of virtual fairs

Freshman Robin Newby said there are downsides to a virtual fair.

“I would rather have a face-to-face meeting,” Newby said. “That way when I get to said internship, I know at least one person already.”

Benefits of virtual fairs

According to students like Newby, the virtual aspect of the fair does present some challenges, though Mojarro said there are also many positive and exciting aspects. There will be “booths,” direct contact information for the company representatives and question forums. Each “booth” has information about who the company is, who the representative is and what positions they are scouting for.

“Once you post a question [in the forums] you will get an answer,” Mojarro said. “It may not be instant, but they will not ignore you.”

Mojarro also said that the companies are actively looking to fill positions.

Because of its virtual format, the forums and booths are open 24 hours a day during the entire week of the virtual fair. This allows students who have tight schedules to participate.

Making a good first impression

Biola’s Career Development website recommends students have their best resume and cover letter for the fair because these documents will be a company’s first impression of the applicant.

“We can customize to wherever you are at and move you forward,” said Jeanie Jang, director of Biola’s Career Development.

Jang encouraged students to bring their resume and/or cover letter to the Career Development office and they will help polish, reformat or clean it up.

To join the Virtual Career Fair, students can visit the website, fill out general information and upload a resume. Students will be able to log in anytime between 10 a.m. on Monday, April 4 and 5 p.m. on Friday, April 8.