Japan Benefit Concert raises awareness and funds [Updated]

On Friday, April 1, Biolans organized a benefit concert to encourage and aid the people of Japan.

Junior Juana Carrillo and freshman Vanessa Gonzalez helped put together a benefit concert on Friday, April I to help those affected by the recent events in Japan, all proceeds were given to the organization Asian Access. | Katie Juranek/THE CHIMES

Abbey Bennett, Writer

The Tuesday after the devastating earthquake and tsunami struck the shores of Japan, junior music in worship major Juana Carrillo sat in class and began thinking of coordinating a benefit concert to raise awareness and funds for Japan.

In just over two weeks, the night was completely planned.

Friday, April 1, at 7:30 p.m. six groups of performers from Biola’s Conservatory of Music and the local community dedicated their time and talent to a bilingual, multicultural concert.

Carillo finds love for Japan

In the summer of 2009, Carrillo lived and worked in Japan as a private chef and pastry assistant at a patisserie known as Lilien Berg in Hama-Kawasaki, Kanagawa upon graduating from Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Pasadena, Calif.

“I brought a Bible that was given to me by a teacher to Japan,” Carrillo said. “I was in a dark place, and God saved me.”

Carrillo fell in love with Japan as God gave her a heart for himself first, and then for the nation and the people.

With a heart for evangelism, Carrillo saw her entire family come to know the Lord after she returned home from Japan. She is constantly looking for opportunities to make his name known.
“Less than 1 percent of Japan is Christian,” Carrillo said. “Japan is a place that is in great need.”
Adjunct faculty member Andrew Braine mentioned to Carrillo the work an organization called Asian Access was doing in Japan and their relief efforts in response to the tragedy.

Asian Access visits campus

Carrillo contacted Asian Access and invited them to come out to the concert.

Asian Access staff member Dorrie Takazawa, who normally serves with her family in Tokyo as the country’s resource coordinators and church planters, shared for a few moments in the middle of the concert.

Takazawa provided vivid images, through both pictures and stories, from a firsthand account.
She and her husband currently serve in the country alongside existing churches with Asian Access. She spoke of “God’s spirit hovering over the waters,” as an encouragement that God has not forgotten about Japan.

Bands represent many styles of music

The musical talents of the concert varied greatly, representing many cultures, languages, and nations.

The concert began with Spanish worship band Sumatotal, who Carrillo met at a church event.
The band is made up of Sergio Casarez, Kimberly Gonzales, Andrew Moreno, Pricilla Venalonzo and Alberto Casarez, none of whom attend Biola.

Freshman Garrett George, who recently played saxophone for Judith Hill’s Japan benefit concert, shared his talents as well, and said he wants to “use [his] time to glorify God.”
Next, senior Toshiro Saito and senior Andrea Morimoto shared how people can be specifically praying for the Japanese people.

They described the three great tragedies –– the earthquake, the tsunami and the nuclear radiation –– and said because of these, the people are currently most in need of water, groceries and even toilet paper.

Sanbi (Nihon Sanbi), a Japanese worship band, sang in both English and Japanese. They taught the crowd how to sing and praise God in their native language.

A Judith Hill performance in Crowell Hall on March 24 was also played during the concert.
EWOK came next, made up of junior David Kim and junior cellist Sarah Quale. They played original music that filled the chapel with beautiful, peaceful melodies.

The Four Trumpeters, Biola’s Jazz Trumpet Quartet consisting of senior Daniel Summers, senior Mark Tomlinson, junior Jonathan Sywulka and sophomore Cassandra Carsrud.
They played a variety of jazz songs, each with Japanese flavor.

Following them, Romance of Redemption, the band Carrillo is in, performed to close the concert.

Their music featured a drama group from Iglesia La Puerta Abierta in Huntington Beach, Calif. who performed a skit in the midst of the music.

Concert raises $1,000

In only two weeks, Carrillo was able to organize all six of these performances, while being a full-time student.

“I was very at peace through the process,” Carrillo said.

Carrillo said she also had the help of Biola alumnus Stephen Hale and freshman Daniel Chicas as she planned for this event.

The amount of money through cash and checks raised by those who attended was $500. This was matched by Asian Access and totaled $1,000.

“We’re hoping to send the video [of the concert] to the churches in Japan,” Carrillo said. “We want to encourage them and [let them] know they are not alone.”