Ruby Awards honors godly women

Biola Ruby Awards Ceremony celebrates teachers, leaders, and servants in the Biola community.

Job Ang

Senior Jessilyn Conicelli presents the Anna Horton Award to Hannah Li, who accepted the award on behalf of her mother, Irene Li. The Ruby Slippers Award chapel was an event of Biola’s National Women’s History Month. | Lauren Kermelis/THE CHIMES

Elizabeth Mak, Writer

Biola University honored four distinguished women at its fourth annual Biola Ruby Awards Ceremony held Friday morning at chapel.

Award recipients were Rachel Clark, Amy Nappa, Ginger Wilshire and Irene En-Hwa Li, each of whom exemplified characteristics of the Biblical women Priscilla, Esther, Deborah and one notable woman in Biola’s history, Anna Horton.

“The women that are receiving these awards represent a whole myriad of careers and impacts,” said Irene Neller, vice president of University Communications and Marketing.

Clark humbly accepts Priscilla Award

Director of Residence Life, Clark received the Priscilla Award for Teaching and Mentoring and said she was in disbelief when she first heard she received the award.

“I was so surprised…there are so many other people who should be in line ahead of me that are more deserving but it was really such an honor to hear it,” Clark said.

Clark first came to Biola University in 2003 as Resident Director of Sigma Chi dorm. She has worked at Biola for eight years, currently working as Residence Life director, and said she is looking forward to getting married in June and moving to Alaska with her soon-to-be husband.

“When I think of my time at Biola, this has been the most significant growing season of my whole life,” Clark said. “I feel like opportunities have been put in front of me to grow and be stretched…it’s been such a significant season.”

Deborah award honors Biola alumna

Amy Nappa, recipient of the Deborah award for Leadership and Wisdom, is a Biola alumna who is currently the executive editor for Champion Group Publishing and a best-selling author.

Reflecting on her years since graduation, Nappa said the first article she sold was to a craft magazine on how to make snow globes. After that, she got involved with youth ministry and wrote her first book on family devotions with her husband Mike.

“I love that Biola is raising up women, and I was excited and honored to receive this award,” Nappa said.

Wilshire announces retirement

Ginger Wilshire, who received the Esther Award for Obedience and Servanthood, has worked at Biola’s Office of Registrar for more than 30 years. Wilshire said that she has been deeply grateful for Biola’s ongoing support, especially when she struggled with breast cancer 15 years ago. As someone who has gone through difficulties, she said she is glad that she has been able to help and comfort students that have come across her path while working at Biola. She announced that she will be retiring next year and her greatest wish would be to leave a legacy of obedience and servanthood like Esther’s.

Horton award accepted by Li’s daughter

Irene En-Hwa Li’s daughter Hannah Li received the Anna Horton award for her mother, who could not attend the event because of ministry engagements in China. According to their daughter Hannah, they were good friends with Sam Sutherland and J. Richard Chase. According to Hannah, her parents have a heart for the Chinese people and found Biola University to be a great platform to start off their ministry.

”It’s exciting for them to see the Chinese American community really consider Biola as one of their higher Christian education opportunities,” Li said.

Student Development honors current Biolan and Biola Alumna

Announcers Neller and Chris Grace, vice president for Student Development, also honored this year’s Miss Ruby: Jessilyn Conicelli, the senior forward for the Biola’s women’s basketball team. Conicelli is the first Biola player to be named GSAC Player of the Year and became the first NAIA First-Team All-American in the program’s history.

Biola alumna Judith Hill also led worship and performed her original piece, “Waiting.” The Ruby Awards Ceremony was just one of a week-long schedule of events in commemoration of National Women’s History Month. Preparation for the week has undergone extensive planning since last October. According to Neller, the theme, “Be Inspired,” arose from students on the Biola Events Committee, who said they wanted to be inspired by women who have gone on to use their Biola education and experience to make an impact.