No Place for Smoking

INSIDE THE CONTRACT: PART TWO

Photo by Stock Photo

Biola’s community standards do no permit smoking on or off campus.

“C.S. Lewis smoked tobacco, so I don’t see what the problem is.”

Junior Matt Harton’s thoughts on tobacco’s place in Biola’s contract echo those of other students who think that tobacco smoking bans may not belong in the contract that every student is required to sign before attending the university.

Biola University Community Standards, which the contract is now called, states “For the purpose of character development and the creation of a healthy, vibrant Christian community, students at Biola commit to abstain from the use of tobacco products, the use of alcoholic beverages and the activity of gambling.”

With the rise of the “Truth” and other anti-smoking campaigns, most Americans know the harmful effects of cigarettes and secondhand smoke.

“It’s a health issue, but it’s also an academic issue,” said Marsha Schreiber, director of the Biola Health Center. “If a person is needing to have a cigarette, the loss of focus will affect them in 30 minutes, and their mind will be craving the drug and not focused on school.”

The Biola Community Standards mandates all students to abstain from tobacco usage in any environment, not just on campus, while still enrolled, and this brings up deeper questions about the motivation of the university to include a tobacco ban in its standards.

“Don’t we have a responsibility to our brother and sisters?” asked Schreiber. “Are you going to be less of a testimony with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth, talking about the Lord Jesus Christ?”

Some students take offense to this mindset, labeling it as self-righteous and image-driven.

“It doesn’t make sense to me; Biola can’t see that people who smoke are still real people,” said sophomore Sean McCulloch. “I’ve had some of the best theological discussions of my life with my brother over a cigar.”

Matthew Hooper, director of Residence Life, acknowledges the toughness of dealing with smoking, which may be both more accessible and accepted than other contract stipulations for students, depending on the student’s background.

“Smoking is a tough issue because culturally, and even in Christian culture, having a cigar with a bunch of friends on the weekend, something you do occasionally, is no big deal,” Hooper said.

The document that students ominously dub “The Contract,” isn’t necessarily in place, however, to define the worldview of students, as much as it is to generate a healthy community for all Biola students.

“We want to move away from contract language. It’s confusing. It doesn’t capture the heart behind the standards that we have,” Hooper said, who acknowledges the radical nature of asking students to suspend their beliefs for the sake of others. “It really is pushing the envelope in terms of making choices that are for community rather than for myself. And that’s tough.”

“And, if you want to smoke a cigar with your buddies or gals,” he continued, “there [are] times in the year for that, during holidays and summer. But ultimately, it’s about community and making choices for others that might really struggle with [smoking.]”

The Contract can be a double-edged sword, sometimes making students more likely to break the rules, driving them to do things they otherwise wouldn’t.

“I’m not going to break the law, but it’s a natural tendency when you’re told not to do something, to go ahead and do it,” McCulloch said.

While both Hooper and Danny Paschall, associate dean of Community Life, acknowledge that there are consequences for students who are caught breaking the Community Standards, they are adamant that the standards are in place primarily to help students. Before any consequences or punishments are doled out, there is always a conversation with the student to completely understand the case-by-case situation. For students who are struggling with nicotine addiction, there is the possibility for an “extended” contract to wean them off their addiction.

“Both of us agree on a date that’s realistic for them, based on their history, when they can stop smoking,” said Paschall. “It gives them some motivation to stop, and there [are] some good consequences.”

Student’s mixed reactions to the contract will likely continue as Biola strives to grow as both a Biblically-centered university and a respected liberal arts institution.

“I have a love-hate relationship with the contract,” said Harton. “It saved my life – I probably would have flunked out if I went to a school that allowed me to have alcohol whenever I wanted, but I don’t know if tobacco regulations really fit the same mold.”