AS Web Site Makes Successful Launch

Photo by Rebecca Pearsey

The newly launched Associated Students website hopes to create one source where students can find about events, see Senate proposals, and give feedback to AS.

Monday, February 4, the AS launched their new student website amidst a flurry of advertising. According to Robert Johnson, AS vice president of finance, the website was built largely in response to student complaints of a lack of communication between AS and the student body.

“[It’s] the most powerful tool [AS] can utilize to communicate directly with every student,” said Johnson.

While website suggestions have been discussed for a few years, it was only last spring that Jared Gibo, the current AS president, proposed it to the senate and the project officially began.

In an email interview, Johnson also discussed the expenses of the website; $10,000 for the site itself which was designed by Art of Mission, an independent web development firm in Texas. In addition, the advertising cost $2,500 and ranged from pens, word of mouth, facebook promotions, and prominent posters throughout campus.

The financial input paid off, as students are enthusiastically responding to the site, which, according to Johnson, has averaged 800 visitors per weekday, and has had “great response from students and alumni alike.”

Lydia Shoesmith, a junior elementary education major, agrees; “I really like it a lot, it’s very helpful in seeing all the information you need.” She was especially enthusiastic about the intramural information available on the site.

This successful communication of information is what Johnson claims to be the main goal of the AS website.

The hope is that students will be able to retrieve news about the events AS is putting on, gain input on Senate proposals, and interact with us about student concerns.