E-textbooks are slow to gain students’ use

Students still prefer printed textbooks over electronic textbooks, according to a recent study.

Unlike previous technological advancements, e-reader devices are not a popular option for college students. Textbooks are still the most accepted by students, despite the rise in sales of iPads and other e-reader devices. Photo Ilustration by JORDAN NAKAMURA/The Chimes

Adrienne Nunley, Writer

The modern generation has seen CDs replaced by digital downloads, video cassette tapes replaced by DVDs and DVDs replaced Blu-ray discs. Now, it’s the textbook’s turn to be replaced, this time by digital textbooks. However, a recent survey done by the National Association of College Students’ OnCampus Research panel shows that students aren’t happy about the change.

Many students would prefer print textbooks

Out of the 627 students surveyed, 92 percent do not currently own an e-reader device. Approximately 74 percent claimed that they would choose a printed textbook over an electronic textbook.

The Biola Computer Store has sold more than 100 iPads since the device came out in April, according to Stacy Sutherland, the store’s manager. Some Biola students who have e-readers such as the iPad say they do not use it for textbooks.

“IPads are very useful and can do many things,” junior Jenna Field said. “But viewing textbooks is not one of their greatest features. I enjoy having the actual tangible textbook rather than having an e-textbook so I can take notes in the book, mark pages and highlight specific things so I can refer back to them at any time.”

Those surveyed by the association gave various reasons for their answers. Some students expressed concern that they would not be able to sell back their book at the end of the semester. Others wondered if an e-book would actually help save money on textbooks. Junior Katie Sikkelee, who works at the IT Helpdesk, said the price of the electronic textbook would matter in whether she purchased one.

Digital texts should be optional, according to students

“If you save money on buying the e-book anyway,” Sikkelee said. “Really when you resell your books, especially at the book store, you don’t even get half of what you paid.” Many of the students surveyed said they would only purchase a digital textbook if a professor required it, or if the digital form were the only copy available. Angela Lee, a second year graduate student at Rosemead School of Psychology, said she thinks professors should give students the option to use regular textbooks or digital textbooks.

“I think that there should be an option in terms of e-textbooks or regular textbooks so students, depending on how they learn, could choose whichever one they want,” Lee said. “And if they are on a tight budget, they could get the e-textbook and print them out.” Public relations professor William Simon said he wouldn’t mind seeing e-textbooks used in classrooms.

Varying tools connect with different students

“I don’t mind all the various tools,” Simon said. “What I do prefer is that we don’t exclude a potential tool that might relate to a young person in a more effective way than another tool. If an e-book is an effective tool for some, that’s great. If writing on a board is better, great. If you can do a PowerPoint presentation, great. My belief is using all those combinations because everybody links in with something.”

Simon said he would have liked having e-textbooks as a college student. He also said he wouldn’t mind using them in his classes.

“I always try to find various roads or vehicles in which to convey communication,” Simon said. “An e-book is just another vehicle.”

Only 27 percent of surveyed students said they prefer digital textbooks over printed ones. Reasons for this include reduced weight in backpacks, saving paper, convenience, and price.

Printing textbooks is becoming more expensive

Simon said the cost of actually publishing books has become expensive.

“The problem is with certain environmental laws and the way laws are in this country right now,” Simon said. “The cost of paper has continued to increase. The cost of production for an educational book is just horrendous. And they’re passing that cost on to a captive audience, which in this case are students. If a technology can somehow break that hold, that monopoly, I’m in favor of that.”

Lee said printed textbooks will probably become less popular than electronic textbooks, though she is sad to see that happen.

“Some things you have to keep old school,” Lee said. “It’s just turning around too quickly. And so I’m really sad because I grew up reading books and enjoying the old schoolness of everything. But what can I do? Times are changing.”

Technologies will continue to overlap

Sikkelee said that may become a reality in this country, but not for the entire world. “It’s easier to say in the U.S. that it may become more technologically faster, just because we have access everywhere because we’re not a third world country,” said Sikkelee.

Sikkelee said that, since a lot of the world does not having access to technology, she believes printed books will remain important.

Simon agreed, saying that newer and older technologies can overlap.

“One technology does not mean the extinction of an older technology — at least not right off the bat,” Simon said.