German pancakes perfect recipe for fall

This week, Elizabeth makes German pancakes from scratch.

Elizabeth Mak, Writer

Ingredients Cost Package Cost
1 Tbsp butter $.03 $4.49
1/2 c. milk $.22 $3.49
2 eggs $.69 $3.99
Dash of salt $.01 $.99
Dash of cinnamon $.01 $2.79
TOTAL $.94 $15.75

It’s about that time of year when the stress of fall semester becomes an undeniable reality. Homework assignments have become habitual, quizzes a recurring theme, and midterms are breathing down our necks. It gives me goose bumps just thinking about it–– and it isn’t even Halloween yet! At times like these, stress relievers are imperative. I use my time in the kitchen as a type of therapy, especially when I’ve got a good friend along to help.

This week, my roommate Cindy and I decided to have breakfast for dinner as a time to catch up and de-stress. This would be our first time tackling the German pancake, also known as “the Dutch baby.”

Unlike your standard skillet pancake, you bake this baby and watch it come alive! Well, it won’t grow legs and walk away, but it should come out looking like a delicious monstrosity. You’ll see what I mean when you make one for yourself. It comes out tasting something like a soufflé and a funnel cake in one— let’s just say it tastes like a “funneffleé”!

Anyway, not only is this recipe extremely quick and easy, it is also remarkably cheap. Then again, it also helps to have a friend lend you some of her homemade apple cider syrup for free. Thanks Katelynn!

Before we get to that, let’s whip up our pancake. Go ahead and preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Butter up a square or circular pan and put it on the side. Then, whisk together the milk, eggs, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl.

I actually used my blender to mix up my ingredients. Pour the batter into your buttered pan and place it into the oven. Let your pancake sit in there for about 12-15 minutes. Try to resist the urge to sneak a peak of its growth process. No dish likes being looked at when it is half-done.

After its time is up, take out the pancake and let it cool. A warning: your “pancake” may look weird or strange, all puffy on the edges and sunken low at the center— but that’s what it should look like. Give your Dutch baby a break and don’t judge it by its appearance.

Some people like to sprinkle their pancake generously with some powdered or confectioner’s sugar. These same people usually like to accent their sugary snowfall with a drizzle of lemon juice squeezed over the pancake. I have also seen restaurants serve this dish with applesauce. Of course, you can never go wrong with good ol’ maple syrup.

Katelynn lent me some of her homemade apple cider syrup, which she recently made to celebrate the arrival of fall. When she heard I was making pancakes this week, she generously offered her delicious concoction to top it all off.

There are also many other great additions you can put into your pancake. Apple slices from the café— either raw or baked— topped off with some cinnamon would taste amazing with your pancake, I’m sure. Some other options would be jams, jellies, fresh fruit, sour cream or whipped cream.

Next week, I’ll be venturing outside of Europe and going back to Asia— Korea, to be exact. I’ll be making a meat dish called “bulgogi”. If you have the chance, comment below and give me some feedback on these articles, or let me know if you have any ideas for upcoming recipes.