Biola to build parking structure

The city of La Mirada has approved the construction of a new parking garage on campus.

Sheena Boyd, Writer

The city of La Mirada has heard the cry of students and faculty wasting time trying to find parking. In its regular meeting last week, the President’s Administrative Council approved the building of a new parking garage.

The incoming class for fall 2010 was the largest in Biola University’s history. So large in fact, that Biolan transportation has been spilling out onto the nearby streets of La Mirada more than usual, and many students say the hassle of parking has become an unnecessary stressor.

Ken Bascom, senior director of Facilities Planning and Construction, said that Biola’s neighbors have not been thrilled about Biola students’ vehicles taking root in front of their houses.

“That is the single biggest complaint that our neighbors have,” Bascom said.

PAC and the Board of Trustees, however, came to the rescue in recently approving a new four story parking structure scheduled to begin construction in January 2011. The lot will stand between the pool and the baseball field and will provide over 600 available parking spaces. The construction is due to be complete August 2011, right before the beginning of the 2011 fall semester.

The price tag on Biola’s newest investment is approximately $8.7 million, according to Gary Balsano, vice president of university services. Funding for the project will come from donations and saved up Auxiliary Service fees.

“It is something we have to do,” Balsano said. “We cannot exist without classrooms, paved roads, bathrooms… it’s part of what allows us to exist.”