Study: Students today feel less guilty about cheating

Students who use technological resources to cheat in their courses may not think they are doing anything wrong, according to recent surveys.

Kelsey Osterman, Writer

Students who use technological resources to cheat in their courses may not think they are doing anything wrong, according to surveys conducted by Trevor Harding, professor of materials engineering at California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo.

With the progression of technology, the age-old problem of cheating has become a gray area for some educational institutions. While cheating has become easier to carry out, detection and discipline do not always follow suit. The casual nature of obtaining answers online can temper remorse, said the Chronicle of Higher Education article that mentioned Harding’s surveys. Copying a classmate’s work is no longer necessary, thanks to the abundance of online homework resources providing exact answers.

Even though they can be avenues for cheating, homework help websites, such as Course Hero and Cramster, stress the instructiveness of their materials.

“The website is available merely as informational and study aids and should not be considered substitutes for applicable course, homework, class and lecture requirements, assignments and related materials,” Cramster’s Web site says.

“Intellectual honesty and integrity is a number one priority of Course Hero,” says the Course Hero website. “We do not support any and all use of user submitted educational materials for unethical purposes, such as plagiarism or other forms of cheating.”

Junior Raquel Cruz became a fan of Course Hero on Facebook after learning about it in one of her classes, but does not actually use the service.

“It’s not much of an integrity thing,” she said.

Associate Dean of students Matthew Hooper sees some benefits to technology to combat cheating, but knows professors must choose to use it.

“As technology has improved, plagiarism has been more easily detected,” he said. “This detection, however, is the responsibility of the professor.”

Junior Liam Savage said he knows a few students who have cheated on assignments, usually textbook or workbook homework in which answer keys could be easily accessed. But he believes professors at Biola are a large part of the cheating problem.

“I think because it’s a Christian university, professors are more trusting,” Savage said. “It is assumed that students are moral and wouldn’t lie or cheat, thus making it an easy system to take advantage of.”

Chris Grace, professor of psychology and vice president of Student Development and university planning, said a student’s heart, which motivates behavior, cannot be changed by a professor’s actions.

“Students will cheat even with the least trusting [professor], who walks around here and keeps an eye on every single thing that they do,” he said. “The people who want to cheat will cheat.”

Sophomore Mary Struckmeier said cheating is likely curbed by peer pressure.

“For the most part, Biola students have integrity and don’t approve when other students take advantage of the professor’s trust, which tends to discourage cheating,” she said.

Both Savage and Stuckmeier agreed there is no difference between copying answers from a friend and procuring them from an online source.

“It’s the same thing,” Struckmeier said. “Either way you’re getting answers that weren’t yours.”

Some colleges have vague rules regarding cheating and plagiarism, according to the Chronicle article. But Biola’s academic honesty policy is clearly outlined in the student handbook. It defines academic dishonesty as “the deliberate attempt to misrepresent individual efforts, whether in writing, audio-visual representation or oral presentation.” Disciplinary measures for cheating are also communicated, including failing the assignment, flunking the class, academic probation and dismissal.

Grace said faculty development works to keep professors informed about new methods students are using to cheat. He said most Biola professors also use a national database to screen papers for plagiarism.

Yet harsh punishments and faculty awareness do not keep some students from engaging in dishonest academic practices. Stuckmeier believes a continued emphasis on biblical integrity will keep cheating in check. Savage and Cruz were not so sure. Both said determined students will always find a way to cheat, no matter what steps Biola might take. Grace agreed.

“We try to help create an environment that is conducive to learning and deters unethical behavior, but the human heart is what the human heart is and sometimes you can’t stop it,” Grace said.