Residents celebrate season by decking the [residence] halls

Photo by Ronalynn Lieggi

Both Hart Hall and Horton Hall went big this year with their decorations. The Horton lobby features a large Christmas tree decorated with Biola 100 disks.

While some students may not be actively expressing holiday spirit, others regard Christmas decorating as vital to this special season.

Hart Hall

Haven, a men’s floor in Hart Hall, is known for Deck The Haven, a Christmas decorating competition held every year, which could be called a festival of lights. Each room represents a different theme in which many residents provide refreshments, and the entire hall is decorated with Christmas lights as well. The floor members consider this to be a very significant event, and people from all around campus are invited. Deck the Haven was held Friday night, Dec. 7.

In addition, all materials that has been used, whether lights or fake snow, follows the strict regulations set by the fire department.

“No light cords run through doorways or across hallways, and outdoor lights are not used indoors,” said Hart Resident Director Ryan Low. “The fire marshal has checked Haven all out, and we will have a floor inspection some time this week.”

According to Low, all types of decoration were allowed when he first arrived, 6 1/2 years ago. He used to put up lights on people’s homes for a living, which resulted in his owning of a lot of extra lights. This made it possible for Hart Hall to go wild with Christmas decorations.

Last winter, the main focus of decoration for the residents of Hart Hall was putting lights on the trees in the courtyard. Unfortunately, there has been a shortage of time and supplies this year, and this portion of decorating could not be carried out.

Low also said that it was hard to run power to the trees, so it was a challenge. This year, Hart Hall must content itself with slightly less Christmas decorations, which they set up during their all-hall.

However, in no way does this imply that Hart Hall has not managed to look festive. A myriad of multi-colored paper snowflakes grace the windowpanes, evergreen garlands accented with poinsettias encircle the banisters, and Christmas wreaths hang from each visible door. Also, an elegantly adorned Christmas tree is placed in the center of it all, surrounded by presents.

Horton Hall

Horton Hall is another dorm that has gone “all out” by way of Christmas decorations. In passing, the most impressive elements are colossal Christmas ornaments. As students draw nearer, they might catch a glimpse of the 10-foot tall Christmas tree just inside the door. Finally in the lobby, there are evergreen garlands snaking up the pillars, mammoth gift-wrapped presents nestled beneath the tree and silver bells dangling from the wall.

Sadly, not everyone has had the opportunity to decorate. With the imminence of final exams and projects, much of any available free time has been dedicated to studying.

“We haven’t had time to decorate, but we really want to have lights up and a wreath. We were in our lair this entire weekend writing papers,” said freshman Allie Nordby.

Sigma Chi Hall

Other students, on the other hand, haven’t been quite as bogged down with work.

Several Sigma Chi residents of 2nd long, The Max, have been caught up in a mini Christmas decorating competition of their own. Freshmen Samantha Valdes and Ellie Pappuleas have teamed up with freshmen Tessa Ludwick and Ruth Langworthy against Halloween-decorating devotee Clarivel Mercado.

“The real reason I got so into the decorating, was because my roommate randomly informed that we were going to be in a Christmas decorating competition with people down the hall,” Valdes said.

Apparently, the competition started over Halloween, due to Mercado’s fascination with that season’s decorations. Her room was completely embellished with orange and purple lights, pumpkins, fall leaf garlands and products from “The Night Before Christmas.”

The other four girls took up the challenge and won, collectively. They emptied nearly three boxes of candy canes, made good use of Christmas lights, garlands and stockings, and even wrapping-papered their doors. However, the highlight is probably this: a real evergreen tree that resides in Room 205, home to Ludwick and Langworthy.

However, the girls were very careful to adhere to fire regulations. They made sure that the people at the tree lot sprayed their prize with fire retardant before bringing it home.

“I carried in the tree myself, while Tessa held the doors open,” said Langworthy. “It was still dripping wet.”

Even with all of the extra electric decorations, the Biola electricity bill doesn’t seem to be noticeably rising. According to Manager of Environmental Systems Chris Reyes, there is nothing that can definitely be pinpointed as the cause of the rising bill.