Alumnus founded organization that feeds needy around the world

Rob Andrews founded Project Feedthem Inc., which is currently helping with Haiti relief.

Kristi Peterson, Writer

Biola students are not only taught to be the best they can be in their profession, but to go out and make a difference in the world. Rob Andrews, a Biola alumni, is one of these people, making a difference around the world as the founder of a non-profit organization called Project Feedthem Inc.

“Project Feedthem Incorporated is a non-profit organization that aims to stop world hunger through the distribution of emergency preparation kits,” Andrews said. “This will be accomplished by vending affordable yet cutting edge emergency packs equipped with imperishable food, distilled water, etc, to schools, homes and churches.”

The project works through a system.

“Upon receiving payment for the emergency packs, Project Feedthem will match the value of the contents,” Andrews explained. “This matched value will be sent to trusted partners in various developing third world countries who will purchase the goods locally. This will stimulate the local economy as well as provide food and clean water for those in need.”

In addition to these contributions, Project Feedthem also hopes to establish various means of communication such as a pen-pal system on a monthly basis between those who purchased the kit like a school classroom in the United States and those who receive the benefits like a school classroom in Kenya.

Feedthem was inspired to work the way it does by TOMS Shoes.

“If they can do it with shoes, why can’t we do it with something people cannot live without,” Andrews said.

In the process of creating the organization, he evaluated what someone in distress would need to survive and came up with packages.

Each package contains one food ration bar, which is a balanced nutrition bar containing 2,400 calories that lasts for three days, contains three days worth of water and one emergency blanket designed by NASA. Each of these items has a shelf life of five years and are designed to keep someone alive in a disaster.

Packages are currently being sent to countries like Haiti where they are desperately needed. With over an estimated 7 billion dollars worth of damage and over 200,000 people dead from the earthquake, according to the New York Times, the country is in dire need, but is not alone in its suffering.

“We truly just want people to see the love of Jesus Christ flow through this project and have people see that they can truly make a difference,” said Andrews about the hopes and dreams for Project Feedthem.

Currently, packages are being distributed through connections they have in Kenya and Haiti.

Feedthem is still in the process of starting and is in need of people and their talents. They are in the beginning stages of getting the organization up and running, and they are in need of all the help they can get. If you would like to help with Project Feedthem Inc., you can start with buying boxes that are $17 each and donations of any kind are always welcome. There is also a Feedthem facebook group that they invite any supporter to join. Word of mouth is also another way to spreading the word about Feedthem.

Eastside Christian School has been working with Project Feedthem but is finishing up their involvement with the organization. Andrews is hoping to get other schools involved with the process as well. Current Biola students Boye Fajinmi, Charlie Balch and Daniel Han are working with the organization to help expand and promote Feedthem.

If you are interested in helping, contact Rob Andrews at feedthem.com.