Alum named California Educator of the Year

Biola alum Michael Long teaches fourth- and fifth-graders at Whittiers Carmela Elementary School.

Photo by Karissa Nedeau

Biola alum Michael Long teaches fourth- and fifth-graders at Whittier’s Carmela Elementary School.

In Room 5, cluster of fourth-grade students work diligently on their writing assignment at Carmela Elementary School in Whittier, Calif. The atmosphere is energetic considering it is 9:30 a.m., and the children show no signs of boredom with their group assignment. They even eagerly ask Mr. Long, their teacher, for help. One student, Natalie, walks up to Long’s desk and asks him to read her essay. After reading the paper, Long gives Natalie a side hug and says, “That’s fantastic!”

A few minutes later, an outside whistle blows – it’s recess time. But instead of enthusiasm, the class is filled with moans. One student grumbles loudly, “I don’t want to go to recess.”

This scene may seem unreal, but not in Michael Long’s class – it happens almost every day.

“They don’t want to go. They are ready to stay and continue working,” he said. “I think a lot of it has to do with the fact they are finally conquering something, they’re finally getting it.”

No wonder Long was awarded California Teacher of the Year for 2008.

Earlier this month, Jack O’Connell, state superintendent of public instruction, named five educators as California Teachers of the Year for 2008. Among those five was Long. The fourth- and fifth-grade teacher earned a bachelor of arts degree in liberal studies in 1994 and a Masters degree in education in 1999. Both came from Biola University, where he also received a multiple subject teaching credential.

O’Connell had lofty praise for the Biola alum.

“Mr. Long is an extraordinary teacher,” the superintendent wrote in a press release, “who puts in long hours both in and out of the classroom as he instills in his students a love and respect for education, especially or the written word as his parents had instilled in him.”

Just by observing Long’s class, it is evident that Long is not a typical teacher. He admits that his style may differ from other teachers in that he doesn’t stick to the lesson plan or confine teaching to the four walls of his classroom.

“A lot of teachers want it to be orderly and quiet, and I have a lot of respect for that. But I myself am not orderly and quiet so I can’t really expect my kids to be,” he said. “Somehow it works and we have a great time and [the kids] want to come for more.”

Although Long’s teaching style is garnering awards, he remains humble and credits Biola professors, his neighbor and mentor Margot Smith, and his co-workers for his success.

“A lot of feedback from a lot of people really made me what I am,” he said.

When it comes to the prestigious award, Long is appreciative yet modest.

“I felt honored and feel really grateful because this is a case of a lot of people doing a lot of work and only one man getting the credit,” he said. “I know that there are a lot of teachers out there who work really hard and they don’t necessarily get the recognition.”

As a teacher of students learning the English language, Long seems to sincerely care for his students. Although Long wrestled with the idea of being a teacher once he arrived at college, he wanted to be a teacher during childhood. When he was in elementary school, he enjoyed playing “school” with his brothers and sisters. While at Biola, Long considered other professions but was pulled back to education.

“I felt such a need to work with kids who are from impoverished backgrounds,” he said, “and who need someone to show them the other side of life and give them something to aspire for.”

Judging by Long’s attitude, he is pleased with his decision to pursue education. It shows.

“I can’t think of a better job than to be with kids all day long. The energy level is phenomenal, the acceptance that you receive, in a classroom of kids who totally trust you, and believe in you, it is just unmatched,“ he said. “If you’re having a low day you come to class and these kids can just pick you right up.”

Long will be honored at an event at Biola on Dec. 11 at 3:45 p.m. in the café banquet room.