Torrey Theater stages “The Real Inspector Hound” this weekend only

Photo by Ronalynn Lieggi

Sophomore Anthony Kemp and Senior Jon Wright rehearse for the opening scene of “The Real Inspector Hound.”

What happens when the boundaries between the audience and the stage become broken? What happens when the audience wants to become part of the play too much? “The Real Inspector Hound,” a Torrey theatre production, will pull away the curtains for opening night this Thursday, Nov. 16.

The play follows two play critics who are watching a murder mystery take place on the stage before them. The story radically changes when the two critics become involved in the play and trigger events that parallel the story they are watching.

This play is entirely student run, and many of the participants are in leadership positions for the first time. Director Carsten Hyatt, a senior, is in his first year as a director. When asked about the overall progress of the play, Hyatt expressed nothing but optimism. He was excited about the amount of progress the cast had made since beginning rehearsals.

“It has been really good. It has been a learning experience because it is my debut as a director. I’ve had a lot of support from the cast, assistants and everyone involved. It’s been great to see the product come out and everyone work together well. It’s great to see where we started and where we’ve gotten to.”

Assistant director Kat Zilka, a junior, also expressed the enjoyment of being in a directing position.

“This is my first year in a directing position,” Zilka said. “Directing has made me realize all the different aspects of theatre that I never noticed when I was just an actress. I think of the stage as a canvas. It’s an opportunity for the director to display their art. Carsten’s had a really great vision for this play, and I get to help him with that. I like to think of myself as the one who helps him mix the paints.”

Producer Danielle Howe, a sophomore, is a novice producer. She too described the hard work that goes into producing, but also the fun and enjoyment she has encountered.

“[It’s been] fantastic. God created me to be a producer — it is a job in which I am able to employ all of my strongest skills, plus I am able to spend time with the fantastic cast and crew involved in the production,” Howe said.

The producer handles the budget, advertising, costumes, lights, props and oversees the different departments. The ride was difficult at times for the crew, but the ride was worth it, according to Howe.

“I feel like the show’s proud mommy,” Howe said. “I’ve been involved in almost every aspect of the show, and it is so exciting to see all the elements coming together. I’m so excited for people to see it!”

Actress sophomore Judith Card is also in her first semester.

“It’s takes a lot of time, energy and commitment, but I think it’s totally worth it to produce something so beautiful,” Card said.

There will be two showings each night, and the show will run through Nov. 18. Friday and Saturday showings begin at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m., and Sunday showings begin at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. Ticket prices are $6 for students and $8 for general admission. Each showing will be held in Mayers Auditorium.