Reece’s career night sparks women’s basketball in win

The women’s basketball team won 73-58 against The Master’s College on Feb. 25.

Brieana Jordan, Writer

In a very physical home game for the Biola women’s basketball team, the team pulled through and maintained their composure to take a 73-58 win over The Master’s College Mustangs on Saturday, Feb. 25.

The Biola Eagles are 11-7 in the Golden State Athletic Conference, placing them in fourth, and are 20-9 overall.

Eagles take the lead in the first half and never look back

In the first half with 9:10 to go, the Mustangs held a one-point lead at 14-13. However, senior guard Charrise Reece got a second-chance bucket to put the Eagles on an 18-5 run over the next seven minutes. With 1:54 to go in the half, Reece made her only 3-point shot attempt to put the team up 31-19. The first half ended with Biola taking a 35-22 lead on 46.88 percent shooting, while the Master’s had a 34.62 percent.

At the beginning of the second half, sophomore center Adijat Adams hit a two-pointer to put Biola in the lead by 15 points, but Master’s would come back to closely trail 43-35 with 15:46 left to go in the game. Soon after, junior guard Becca DeVere and senior guard Lauren Gustafson, who finished the game with eight points and a game high of four steals, both hit threes to put the Eagles up by 14.

The Eagles finished out the second half, scoring 38 points to the Mustangs’ 36. The final score was 73-58, giving Biola the win. In the second half, Biola outshot the Master’s 50 percent to 29.41 percent.

“We did a good job of being aggressive defensively, of knowing what they’re looking for individually and as a team, and trying to make sure and cover those strengths up and make them do something out of their comfort zone,” head coach Bethany Miller said. “And our girls did that really well as a unit tonight.”

Reece and Adams reach double-digits in points

Reece had an amazing night, playing 37 minutes and finishing with a career high of 27 points, hitting nine of 10 field goals and eight of 10 free throws, and getting five rebounds, three steals and three assists.

Adams played 28 minutes and finished with 20 points, 10 rebounds and two blocked shots while shooting 10 of 15 from the field.

Saturday night was also senior night. Reece, Gustafson and Emily Drews were honored after the game.

“Playing on this team has been the greatest thing that has ever happened to me,” Gustafson said. “It just is like cohesiveness and team unity is really what it means to me. We are one big happy family and I know that I can go to any of these girls if I need them and I know they’ll have my back on the court.”