Students learn about Mormonism from LDS missionary

Photo by Michael Farr

A ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints stands on Mulberry Dr.

Mormonism was given a face and a voice to over 50 Biola students on Friday.

Elder Bradly Nothum, a Latter Day Saint who is currently serving as a missionary in the Whittier area, spoke to a full audience in the business building auditorium about the history and beliefs of the Church of Latter-Day Saints. Afterwards he answered a slew of questions from the audience about Mormonism.

Nothum came on an invitation from A.S.’s Religious and Academic Relations department, who earlier this year invited a Buddhist for a similar event. He said that his goal for coming to Biola was not to convert anyone, but to “share some basic beliefs” about Mormonism.

Nothum shared his personal testimony of becoming a Mormon, sprinkling the discussion with history of the Book of Mormon and the modern structure of the Church of Latter-Day Saints.

While acknowledging scribal errors in Latter-Day Saint scripture, he said that by diligently praying one can know that its truth.

“I know Joseph Smith was a prophet because I prayed,” he said. “It is my right as a son of God to know.”

He admitted that he sometimes has doubts about his faith, but ultimately relies on prayer to give him peace and happiness.

Nothum also spent time talking about the Mormon belief that a “remnant” of Israel sailed to the Americas and developed two vast kingdoms. He described further that he believes the resurrected Christ preached to these people before He ascended to heaven.

Students stayed even after the event’s ending to ask Nothum questions ranging from the source of the Book of Mormon, to his opinion on polygamy in some Mormon circles. After he was asked by one student about whether God has always been the way he is, Nothum said that “as man was, God once was.”

While admitting he was concerned that students would not be respectful to the speaker, Jeremy Mann, director of A.S.’s Religious and Academic Relations, said the event went “pretty well.” Mann said he hopes he can eventually bring in speakers from every major world religion.

An attendee of the event, freshman Ryan Adams, said he learned a lot about Mormonism from the event and believes having people from other religions speak at Biola is “extremely effective” for student growth.

Kurt Southern, freshman, said he had mixed feelings about the speaker, but said it ultimately encouraged him to grow in his own faith.

“It was helpful to see people that are standing up for what they believe, but it was heartbreaking to see that they missed Christ,” he said.