Spooky fundraiser supports upcoming Biola Film

Photo by Kelsey Heng

Stephen Pardini prepares for the costume contest at Tuesday’s Halloween Movie Night, a fundraiser for the official Biola Film project in progress this semester.

Biola film students hosted a Halloween movie night on Tuesday in order to fundraise for this semester’s Biola-sponsored film, Trunk: A Love Story.

Though the event, which was held in Mayers Auditorium, did not draw much of an audience, the film’s director, junior Chris Hartwell, was confident that this was only the beginning of a flurry of fundraising.

Through the mass communications department, students have the opportunity to become involved in big budget productions in a series of production classes. These three classes comprise a nine-unit, 11-month commitment that allows cinema and media arts majors to gain experience producing a large scale film.

Students enrolled in these classes produce and direct a minimum of two films per year, which premiere at the annual Biola Film Festival held in the month of May. Last year’s student films were Stockboy, 18:23, and Sons of War.

The current students of the class are in progress for this year’s first film. This class, also known as pre-production, is under the direction of professor Lisa Swain.

Trunk: A Love Story, is “a story about love and relationships,” said Hartwell. “It is about two assassins who like each other but won’t admit to it. It takes a gun to the head for them to finally admit their love for the other.”

Fundraising for this particular film, which will be officially shooting in January, will come from various sources. Most fundraising will come from the donations of students’ families, car washes, and the students attending television show tapings. However, because there is a total of $10,000 to raise, the film students have been considering a few more possibilities of on-campus fundraisers.

In addition to the Halloween movie night, the crew plans to host a Battle of the Bands event in order to continue fundraising for the film. This on-campus event is slated for Nov. 16 in the Biola Production Center.

“This is an event focused on getting all of Biola involved in the great music on campus,” said co-director Rebecca Boss. After the auditions, which will be “held as soon as possible” according to Boss, five or six bands will be selected to play. There will be a small admission fee for students in order to raise money for the film, though the event will be free for participating bands.

All Biola bands interested in auditioning for Battle of the Bands should contact Boss at [email protected] for more information.