Men’s golf places 10th in Long Beach

Amid a tough field, the men’s golf team finished tenth place in the Concordia University Fall Classic last week at the Skylinks Golf Club in Long Beach. As the least experienced in the field of 10 teams, the inaugural men’s team finished 127 strokes over par.

Point Loma won the event, finishing an impressive 15 strokes under par. Concordia, the host school, finished the tournament at 23 over par.

Mitchell Evanecz, from Victoria BC, took top honors shooting 13 under par for the tournament, narrowly edging out Sam Cyr from Point Loma by one stroke.

Senior Greg Bodine finished highest in the tournament for the Eagles at 16 over par, with his best round a two-over 74.

Junior C.J. Clark shot 39-over par, finishing 56th overall, with his best score an 81 in his second round of play.

“The course was not too difficult, but it played long,” Clark said about the links in Long Beach. “We faced some stiff competition as most of the teams compete in Division II tournaments.”

The Concordia tournament is the men’s last for the semester. They pick up again in the spring semester with five scheduled tournaments.

“We are definitely all looking forward to next semester,” Clark added. “We should put up some lower scores now that we know the level of competition.”

He explained that the team would continue to practice through the end of the semester to work toward more competitive play in the second part of their season in the spring.

“Most of the guys on the team haven’t played in competitive tournaments since high school,” he said. “We are learning a lot about ourselves in tournaments this semester.”

Clark and the rest of the team are looking forward to success in the spring tournaments and in seasons to come as Biola continues to develop its men’s golf team.