Potential policy change could limit chapel makeups

Proposal part of larger University Chapel Board discussion on revamping requirements

Photo by Ronalynn Lieggi

If the new chapel requirements are established After Dark will be one of the primary options for students to get credit if they can’t make it to morning chapels.

At AS’s semi-monthly all staff meeting Tuesday, representatives of Student Development presented a new chapel attendance proposal, which would require students to physically attend at least half of the total required chapels.

The policy, which is still in the draft stage, would force students who don’t physically attend 15 chapels and four conferences in a semester to drop down to 12 units the following semester. If the requirement were not met again, the student would be prohibited from taking any classes the next semester. Making up the other 15 chapels would still be an option, though the deadline would be the first day of WebReg phase two.

Student Development representatives suggested that the new policy could go into effect as early as spring 2008, though they did not confirm that as a definitive date.

The proposed changes were largely presented as a response to the growing number of students fulfilling their chapel requirements via make-ups. Concerns were expressed that the definition of what chapel actually is has become very vague.

The AS staff raised many questions about how the new rules would apply to commuters, seniors or students whose majors have different chapel requirements. Danny Paschall, associate dean of Student Development, who participated in presenting the proposed changes, admitted that they are still working out many of the policy’s specifics.

“We have a number of focus groups that we are tapping into to get feedback,” Paschall said.

According to University Chaplain Ron Hafer, this new policy has been in the University Chapel Board’s discussions for two years, though it is just now coming to light. The University Chapel Board (UCB) is made up of faculty, staff and students who work to improve chapels.

“We’re trying to bring a simplicity to the program … an original idea,” Hafer said. “If I didn’t like it, I would have spoken up.”

Although, the UCB has been discussing the changes for two years, the purpose was not to overlook student’s opinion, but to seek the best solution.

“The intent from the UCB was never to hide this from students,” CJ Casciotta, chair of AS Chapel Board said. “And 15 chapels is not that big of deal … we offer nine a week.”

Junior Ashley Datcher, however, believes the proposed changes are not hitting the heart of the issue. Rather than adding more requirements, she said, there should instead be changes to the content of chapels.

“If we’re going [to chapel] but we’re just standing water, then we are not being fed,” Datcher said.

Senior Nathan Cartmell, a commuter to campus, believes the chapel requirements should be different for commuting students.

“It’s very difficult to get to chapel when it is that early in the morning,” Cartmell said.

Cartmell added that if a policy change is going to be made, it should be done because of a popular movement within the student body.

Others, like senior Jessica Johnson, are neutral to the issue.

“Either way it’s fine to me,” Johnson said. “If it’s a requirement, it’s a requirement.”