Student opens fire at Cleveland school; 4 shot, gunman kills self

Family members hug outside the SuccessTech Academy Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2007, in Cleveland.
Family members hug outside the SuccessTech Academy Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2007, in Cleveland. A gunman opened fire Wednesday at the alternative school and three children were taken to a hospital, the mayor said.
Photo courtesy of Photo by AP Photo/Tony Dejak

A 14-year-old student gunman who wounded two students and two teachers at his high school Wednesday before killing himself had a history of aggressive behavior and had previously threatened to commit suicide, juvenile court records show.

Classmates at SuccessTech Academy alternative school said Asa H. Coon, who had been suspended for fighting two days earlier, was a ”gothic” who made threats in front of students and teachers last week.

”He’s crazy. He threatened to blow up our school. He threatened to stab everybody,” Doneisha LeVert said. ”We didn’t think nothing of it.”

Students hid in closets and bathrooms and huddled under laboratory desks after the principal announced a ”Code Blue” alert over the public address system. Witnesses said the shooter moved through the converted five-story downtown office building, working his way up through the first two floors of administrative offices to the third floor of classrooms.

Parents were angry that the firearms got into a school equipped with metal detectors that students said were intermittently used.

Armed with revolvers, Coon fired eight shots and it appeared he may have targeted teachers, said Police Chief Michael McGrath.

He said police found a duffel bag stocked with ammunition and three knives in a bathroom but did not find a suicide note.

”We do know that the shooter had disciplinary problems at the school and had disagreements with other students at the school,” McGrath said.

Coon had a history of mental health problems and had threatened to commit suicide last year while in a mental health facility, according to juvenile court records obtained by The Plain Dealer.

The records show Coon spent time in two juvenile facilities after a domestic violence incident, was also given home detention, and was suspended from school last year for attempting to physically harm a student, The Plain Dealer reported. His parents are separated and his dad lives out of state, McGrath said.

Student Frances Henderson, 14, said she often got into arguments with Coon, who once told her, ”I got something for you all.” He often wore a trench coat, black boots and a dog collar, she said. During the shootings Coon was wearing a Marilyn Manson concert shirt, black jeans and black-painted finger nails, police said.

Coon was white and Henderson is black, but she said she didn’t believe race played a role in the shootings.

Police released audio from three 911 calls _ two from students who had fled the building after the first two shots and one from a distraught mother, calling on behalf of her son, who was huddled in the back of a fourth floor classroom.

”They just shot somebody in his room!” the crying mother told the dispatcher.

The first person shot, student Michael Peek, had punched Coon in the face right before the shootings began, said student Rasheem Smith, 15.

Coon ”came out of the bathroom and bumped Mike and he (Mike) punched him in his face. Mike started walking. He shot Mike in the side.” Peek, 14, didn’t know Coon had a gun, Smith said.

Antonio Deberry, 17, said he and his classmates hid under laboratory tables and watched the shooter move down the hallway. ”I saw him walking past. He didn’t see us, we saw him.” The shooter swore and shot several times, Deberry said.

LeVert said she hid in a closet with two other students after she heard the alert over the loudspeaker. She said she heard about 10 shots.

Shooting victim Darnell Rodgers, 18, was walking up to another floor when the stairway suddenly became flooded with students.

”It took me a couple of minutes to realize that I was actually shot, when I felt my arm burning in the area, that’s when I realized that I had got shot,” Rodgers said.

”They were screaming, and they were saying, ‘Oh my God, oh my God.’ I knew something was wrong, but thought that it was probably just a fight, so I just kept going,” Rodgers said.

Rodgers was released from a hospital after treatment for a graze wound to his right elbow.

People in Coon’s home late Wednesday declined to comment.

Outside the boy’s home, people said he was an outcast who had been bullied by children at school and in his neighborhood.

”He just couldn’t handle the kids always messing with him,” Joseph Fletcher told The Plain Dealer. ”I’m not justifying nothing and not saying he’s did the right thing but his cries for help were just not heard.”

Coon had been suspended since Monday for fighting near the school that day, said Charles Blackwell, president of SuccessTech’s student-parent organization. He did not know how Coon got into the building Wednesday.

Blackwell said that there was a security guard on the first floor, but that the position of another guard on the third floor had been eliminated.

Students stood outside the building, many in tears, hugging one another and on cell phones. Others shouted at reporters with TV cameras to leave them alone. Family members also stood outside, waiting for their children to be released.

Math teacher David Kachadourian, 57, was treated and released for a minor wound to the back of one shoulder, according to Metro Health Medical Center. Michael Grassie, a 42-year-old history teacher, was in fair condition at the hospital after about two hours of surgery. The hospital would not disclose the nature of the surgery.

Two of the injured teens were taken to a children’s hospital, which would not release their names, ages or conditions. Besides the shooting victims, a 14-year-old girl fell and hurt her knee while running out of the school.

Classes at all schools in the Cleveland Metropolitan School District will be canceled Thursday, said Eugene Sanders, chief executive officer of the district. Counseling will be available for students at recreation centers, he said.

SuccessTech Academy is an alternative high school in the public school district that stresses technology and entrepreneurship. It is housed on several floors of the district’s downtown Cleveland Lakeside Avenue administration building.

The school has about 240 mainly black students with a small number of white and Hispanic students.

The school, opened five years ago, ranks in the middle of the state’s ratings for student performance. Its graduation rate is 94 percent, well above the district’s rate of 55 percent.

The shooting at SuccessTech came six months after a gunman at Virginia Tech opened fire in a classroom building, killing 32 people before taking his own life.

A 2005 study published in the medical journal Pediatrics reported that schoolshootings resulted in 52 deaths between 1990 and 2000. Although widely publicized, by comparison, the study noted that schoolshootings claim relatively few victims. In New York City alone during the same period, homicides accounted for the deaths of 840 inner city youths, ages 14 to 17, the study said.

Associated Press writers James Hannah, Terry Kinney, M.R. Kropko, John Seewer and Thomas J. Sheeran and Andrew Welsh-Huggins contributed to this report.