New laws may snuff out smoking in some California cities

Helen Heinlo smokes outside of a coffee shop in Belmont, Calif., June 11, 2007.
Helen Heinlo smokes outside of a coffee shop in Belmont, Calif., June 11, 2007. The Belmont City Council narrowly approved a measure Tuesday night that bans smoking in apartment buildings. The law also prohibits puffing on streets and sidewalks during public events and at outdoor workplaces.
Photo courtesy of Photo by Associated Press / Paul Sakuma

Lighting up cigarettes may not just be prohibited at Biola alone. Lawmakers in two California cities are pushing to ban smoking inside apartments and condos, USA Today reported.

This unique law could increase voluntary movements by landlords and resident associations to ban smoking in Belmont and Calabasas, Calif.

On Tuesday, the City Council of Belmont is scheduled to cast a final vote that would possibly result in fines and evictions if neighbors complain and smokers don’t heed repeated warnings.

In Calabasas on Oct. 3, the City Council discussed a proposal that would expand its anti-smoking law to prohibit smoking inside existing apartments and most new condos. The council agreed to request changes to the measure that would exempt all condos and set aside a certain percentage of apartments for smokers, according to USA Today.

While opponents say the potential ordinances delve too far into citizens’ personal lives, some Biola students say the rules are perfectly reasonable.

“I don’t think the ban is that big of a deal if [the law] is voluntary,” said sophomore Katie Schaller. “If the people living or seeking to live in those condos or apartments don’t agree with the smoking bans then they can choose to live elsewhere.”

At Biola, lighting a cigarette anywhere on campus is prohibited both indoors and outdoors. As stated in Biola’s smoking and tobacco use policy, current students smoking on or off campus are in violation of university policy. Also, smoking is prohibited on all university facilities, whether inside buildings or outside.

Freshman Eva Dunbar agrees with Biola’s policy. She said the policy helps keeps Biola a clean environment.

“Smoking affects other people.” Dunbar said. “I don’t think [the policy] affects freedom of rights.”