Stewart insecurity? Campus Safety scrutinizes Biola’s most vulnerable dorm

Every American citizen enjoys the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness; an unspoken right also included here is the right to security. People of all ages cherish the feeling of security, as does Campus Safety, whose first priority is to ensure the protection of Biola’s students.

Unfortunately, there is one resident building that has managed to evade the security measures of Campus Safety. Stewart Hall, located on the outskirts of campus, is one of Biola’s oldest dorms. It lacks computer access control, has front doors that remain unlocked, and is highly accessible to wandering outsiders. There isn’t the same level of security that there is in more modernized dorms like Horton or Hope Hall.

Chief of Campus Safety Jerry Powell and the rest of Campus Safety are still in the midst of improving security for Stewart, and nothing has been confirmed yet. However, the option of decorative fencing and gates with access card readers has been considered for added security. A sturdy barrier such as this would provide both ambiance and protection. An all-dorm meeting was conducted last week to discuss the measures of personal safety that students can take. Sophomore Trisha Nana Umemura, a resident of Stewart Hall, has noticed the lack of security.

“It’s awkward how the lobby is always open … if you’re not on campus, you can just walk in. But it’s not a problem, really, because the community doesn’t seem to mind,” Umemura said. Interestingly enough, Umemura didn’t seem at all nervous about the fact that it was easier for someone to get into Stewart than any other dorm. However, when asked whether or not Stewart Hall should increase security, she agreed that it should.

“I don’t really mind, but it’s probably a good idea because the dorms are out in the open,” said Umemura. “The funny thing is, the door looks like it’s locked, so no one ever tries to open it.”

Senior Holly Helgeson feels that the absence of security is not a big deal if people keep their doors shut. This idea can also be related to the recent number of stolen laptops and pillaged rooms. If people lock their rooms and their cars and don’t leave any valuables unattended, they can easily avoid an incident of theft. Campus Safety does its best to provide a safe environment, but they can’t prevent people from being careless.

Stewart’s Resident Director (RD) David Turner feels that more knowledge concerning the security of the dorm needs to be readily available.

“The more education [students] get, and the more they protect each other, the more helpful it will be,” Turner said.

However, the education of students is only one factor; Turner also feels that Campus Safety needs to do more. Turner acknowledges that they are trying very hard, but the safety of Biola relies on the administration as well as the students.

Powell expresses a deep desire to improve student safety. However, he made it a point that all security begins with the user, or student.

There is an incredible awareness of student safety, due to prior scenarios of campus violence, such as the shootings at Columbia.

“Biola has been proactive and forward thinking in order to see the gaps before they become holes, which allow perpetrators to sneak in,” he said.

Campus Safety is currently studying ways to increase student protection, and Stewart Hall is just one area of concern. As of now, the two most principal systems in use are the 3N and Apollo systems. 3N is essentially a mass notification system, in which Campus Safety can send a voice or text message to all students that would say, “This is Biola Campus Safety. There is a campus emergency, and we need you to stay where you are in order to protect yourself.”

The Apollo system, on the other hand, is Biola’s card reader system. It alerts Campus Safety whenever a door is left ajar or open.

“It is part of the infrastructure of safety that Biola has,” said Powell.

As chief, the questions that Powell constantly asks are, “What’s another thing we can do? How can we protect better?” He is constantly studying, educating himself and making an effort to look for better, more efficient measures of safety.

At the same time, Powell ensures that they are going to do everything possible to provide safety.

“We won’t just overlook things,” he said. “We don’t want another horrible event like Virginia Tech.”

Biola is already equipped with a photograph system, monitors, officers, an alarm system (e.g. in case of fire) and safety education.

“We want our students to feel safe,” said Powell. “We have a conviction to do the right thing.”