For Corey, Dodger Day toss a dream come true

It was a unique place for Biola to publicly induct President Barry Corey. Last Sunday at Chavez Ravine, home park of the Los Angeles Dodgers, Corey had the privilege of throwing out the first pitch at Biola’s second centennial event, Dodger Day.

The game itself was the series finale between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the National League West-leading Arizona Diamondbacks, which began at 1:05 p.m. But it was at about 12:30 when an honored and excited Corey took his first step out on the field.

More than 2,000 Biola students supported him from the bleachers in the Right Field Pavilion to watch the university’s eighth inaugural president throw the ceremonial first pitch.

Corey explained that it was a lifelong dream come true.

“I never thought the day would happen that I’d actually stand out there and hurl out the ball in a major league park,” the first-year president described. “What a moment to wait for, where finally I could do it for a school like Biola University.”

With the initial support President Corey received, he could not have been more overjoyed.

“What a privilege and what an honor it is!” a glowing Corey exclaimed. “My whole family’s out here, and I hear a good portion of the Biola student body too.”

Corey was thrilled by the great turnout, calling it another testimony to the awesome students of Biola.

“They’re zealous; they’re on fire. But most of all, they love Jesus, and they want to change the world for him,” he said.

Besides the masses of students in attendance, Corey had a few people personally accompanying him.

His family, decorated in a combination of Biola and Dodger apparel, was right by his side. They were sporting Biola visors, centennial temporary tattoos and colorful blue and red “Biola Loves the Dodgers” t-shirts for the special occasion. It was undoubtedly a family affair for the Coreys, with son Anders behind the plate to call the strikes.

Even so, family members weren’t the only guests Corey had on hand for the excitement. Biola Men’s Baseball Head Coach, John Verhoeven, was behind the plate catching Corey’s first pitch.

Verhoeven is certainly no stranger to a major league stadium. With a couple years of big league experience and nearly ten years experience coaching baseball at Biola, there was no one better for Corey to bring along for some moral support and even a few pointers.

Corey admitted he was scared to death before the ceremony, but credits the Biola students for helping him make it across the plate.

“Did you hear them cheer? I felt like a million bucks!”