Mosaic Cultural Center opening soon

SUB floor plans show the projected conference room and office dimensions

Photo by Ken Campbell

Floor plans for the upper SUB show the projected conference room and office dimensions. The SUB is expected to open on Sept. 27

Along with aesthetic improvements and brand new furniture, the refurbished Student Union Building (SUB) will feature the Mosaic Cultural Center when reopened.

The Mosaic will be located in the upper SUB, which will include the offices of the Director of International Students Services, Ivan Chung, and the Director of Multi-Ethnic Programs, Glen Kinoshita. There will also be a conference room available for students to hold meetings, along with a lounge area with couches and tables where students can hang out. The pool tables that previously occupied the upper SUB will be relocated to the middle SUB, where there will also be a lounge area with couches.

The cultural center will eventually be decorated with symbols, art work and artifacts from various cultures.
“It will be a place for exploration, dialogue and to reflect kingdom values of diversity,” Chung said.

The idea for the remodeling of the SUB and the creation of the Mosaic arose from a joint effort of AS and Student Development last year. The SUB committee and other Biola representatives who had the vision of creating a more inviting environment and a center for multiculturalism brought ideas together.

“We want it to be a place to learn,” Kinoshita said. “One of the objectives is for students to learn about cultures, ethnic backgrounds, global realities and to celebrate that.”

With the offices of both the Director of Multi-Ethnic Programs and the Director of International Students Services, the traffic in the center is expected to be mostly international or multi-ethnic students, but it is not restricted to only them. The SUB area will be open 24/7 and available for all students.

“No matter what we call it, it is always going to be a place for everybody,” Chung said. “We want to emphasize that all are welcome. We want it to grow for everyone.”

As for the name of the cultural center, Chung and Kinoshita wanted a name that would most accurately represent both of their departments. After much research, they settled with the name Mosaic, which according to www.dictionary.com, means “composed of a combination of diverse elements.” It was chosen because they felt it encompasses everyone and does not represent one department more than the other.

According to the mission statement for the cultural center, the Mosaic “seeks to reflect the multi-ethnic and global reality of the Kingdom of God at Biola University.” It also states that “through cross cultural dialogue, fellowship and education, we seek to pursue the biblical mandate to ‘do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly’ (Micah 6:8), and to mirror the scene in heaven where a multitude of all nations, tribes, peoples and tongues stand before the throne and the Lamb (Revelation 7:9).”

Last year’s AS President Cory Cress, who was involved in the planning of the Mosaic, said “The upper SUB will still be a place for socializing and relaxing … and maybe just a chance to interact with people that you don’t normally interact with.”

The SUB opening will be on Thursday, Sept. 27 at 7 p.m. It will be set up to create a coffee house ambience where hors d’oeuvres will be served, jazz will be played, and poetry will be read.