Man vs. The Passions

From professional soccer to hitting the books: Ethan Hardin’s journey to study at Biola.
Ethan Hardin plays soccer professionally for Inter Miami CF II
Photo courtesy of Ethan Hardin

In 2022, junior theology student Ethan Hardin traded a professional contract with the Inter Miami CF soccer team for a degree in theology at Biola University.

Hardin has been kicking the soccer ball since before he could walk.

“My whole life, I have always dreamed of playing professionally,” Hardin stated. “I didn’t want to do anything else.”

Now Hardin is hitting the books and studying the word of God.

THE JUMP

Hardin has a passion for both theology and soccer, but he says neither defines him.

He knew that if he were going to attend college and make the jump, he wouldn’t want to study anything besides theology, which is one of his biggest passions.

“I love playing, but this is not something I want to do as my career,” Hardin stated.

Hardin is following what he loves and trusts God will lead him to what is next.

“I know God wants me here [at Biola] to study biblical studies, and I’m just trying to live faithfully in that,” Hardin said.

When Hardin played professionally, soccer was his main focus.

“When playing at Miami, that was [my] job; that was [my] life, and you have nothing else going on in your life,” Hardin stated.

However, he wanted more in life than soccer; he wanted the whole college experience.

“You get to hang out with people and learn from mentors and professors.” Hardin stated. “You wouldn’t be able to have that at your availability before.”

Hardin cherishes his time at Biola because of the relationships and community he has built here.

“The community of strong Christian friends … The professors pour into us, and they are a pool of knowledge,” Hardin said.

He believes that these are the biggest advantages of pursuing education at Biola.

KEEP AT THE GAME

But Hardin didn’t hang up his cleats just yet. He is now playing soccer and representing the Biola Eagles on the field. But he is faced with a new challenge. When offered a contract with Miami, he was a center-back and played more defensively. Now, playing with the Eagles, he is an attacking midfielder.

“I had wanted to switch positions,” Hardin stated. “[The coaches] saw that in me too.”

Although Hardin plays defense in some games, the coaches see his strength as a midfielder, and he wants to contribute as much as possible to his team and be a team player.

Ethan Hardin (second to the left) now plays soccer for Biola University (Steven Guersch)

Hardin has focused on finishing attacks, contributing by getting assists and getting goals, and not putting mental limits on himself.

Coming in as a freshman with a professional background, all eyes were on him to live up to his professional status. More pressure followed after he helped his team win the PacWest Conference in his first year with the Eagles.

“[The coaches] always pushed for more and wanted me to do more,” Hardin stated. “The expectations weren’t the same as an average freshman … Their expectations for me were to be a leader, help build the team, and set high standards … I just focus on what I can do and try to do the best.”

NO REGRETS

Prior to attending Biola, Hardin was the captain of Inter Miami CF II, and some days, doubts crept in. Players he used to captain are now playing alongside legends of the game, such as Messi.

“It’s really cool to see that, but then a part of [me] always thinks that could have been me,” Hardin says. “But ultimately, I have no regrets … What I have here at Biola is super special, and I wouldn’t trade that for anything.”

Ethan Hardin number 5 kicking a goal for BU (Steven Guersch)
About the Contributor
Nina Corral, Sports Editor
Nina is a Junior who loves baseball reading, and is a caffeine addict.