Categories:

Letter from the Opinions Editor

A new beginning: our renewed vision and philosophy
Portrait of Isahi Minero
Portrait of Isahi Minero
David Alexander

Letter to the Biola Community, from the Opinions Editor

I am humbled and honored to serve you members of the greater Biola community as The Chimes‘ 2024-2025 Opinions Editor. In this letter, I wish to introduce myself and present my vision and philosophy for the year ahead. 

INTRODUCTION

My name is Isahi Minero and I am a current senior political science major, Spanish minor, and Torrey Honors College student. I am an Angelino, born and raised in Los Angeles, California. I dream of attending a top-tier law school after graduating from Biola and practicing law. Some of my favorite hobbies include disc golf, soccer, and eating out with friends. Vital to my identity is my faith. I am a devout Roman Catholic, one of only a few Catholics on Biola’s campus. 

Throughout my time at Biola, I have been able to serve in various positions including the Community & FirstGen Intern at Student Enrichment & Intercultural Development (SEID) and Commuter Senator in the Student Government Association (SGA). Now, I have the distinct honor to serve as Opinions Editor at The Chimes. 

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF THE CHIMES’ COMPLICATED HISTORY

I would like to begin with a confession — I didn’t know The Chimes existed during most of my time here at Biola. This may not be something you expect a member of the staff to acknowledge, but it’s important to acknowledge because it’s true for a significant number of students on campus.

Unfortunately, the tainted reputation of The Chimes’ Opinions column precedes us. In the past, the Opinions section has fallen short of the professional standards it set for itself. Many inaccurate and unwise opinions were published and these have inflicted pain on many members of the community. 

As the new Opinions Editor, I want to sincerely apologize to those affected by these publications.

I am aware that many members of the community, including students, faculty and administrators, find it difficult to trust The Chimes. But, reflecting on this complex legacy that I, along with all the members of The Chimes, have inherited has helped me craft a vision for the Opinions section, one grounded in love and the pursuit of all things true. 

VISION AND PHILOSOPHY

My vision for the Opinions column is this: to serve the Biola community as a forum where critical thinking and the important issues and topics that affect campus meet. 

The Opinions section has the power to ask fundamental and critical questions about the issues and topics affecting our campus. By “critical,” I don’t mean denunciation or condemnation, but rather careful analysis and evaluation of information, assumptions, and the beliefs that arise from them. My hope in asking good questions and writing good opinion pieces is to invite the entire Biola community to be a part of the conversation and be a part of the solution when one is needed. 

The Chimes exists to edify campus with our words – not tear it apart – because words have power. 

Today, I make a solemn oath to all of you: I, along with my team, will faithfully uphold The Chimes’ mission statement and fulfill our duties and responsibilities with integrity. The Opinions section will live out the values and mission and vision statements of The Chimes faithfully. We will use the power entrusted to us to illuminate and enrich the campus. We will be wise in our decision-making, professional in our publishing and loving in our pursuit of truth. 

THANK YOU

I hope this letter has conveyed my vision for this position and renewed my commitment to good journalism and stewardship of words. 

I want to thank every one of our supporters. The outpouring of love and support we have received these past few days has been so encouraging and heartwarming for me and the entire Opinions team. I look forward to growing alongside you throughout this year. 

– Isahi Minero, 2024-2025 Opinions Editor

4.4 22 votes
About the Contributors
Isahi Minero, Opinions Editor
Isahi Minero is a senior political science major with a Spanish minor and a Torrey Honors College student. He is from Los Angeles, California, and enjoys sports and spending time with friends and family.
David Alexander, Staff Photographer
David Alexander is a Senior Film and Business major who has grown up overseas in countries such as the Philippines, South Korea, and India. He loves film, old technology, and the great outdoors!