Reading “Disease of Kings” with Anders Carlson-Wee

Poet Anders Carlson-Wee reads aloud from his newly published book based on his experiences of dumpster diving and survival.
    Patricia Yang

On Nov. 7, Biola’s English department welcomed poet Anders Carlson-Wee to a live poetry reading of his newest book “Disease of Kings.” Students came over to the Business Building and took their seats in room 109. As the clock struck 6 p.m., professor of English, Christopher Davidson, stood up and introduced Carlson-Wee. The room listened with captivation as Carlson-Wee read aloud poems from “Disease of Kings.”

Carlson-Wee’s “Disease of Kings” was published this year on Oct. 3, by the W. W. Norton & Company publishing house. It was inspired by Carlson-Wee’s life of dumpster diving and train hopping in his twenties.

The poetry collection was written with an overarching narrative and splits between multiple sections, which he compares to acts in a play. It centers around the bond between an unnamed speaker and his friend North. Each poem explores how their close-knit friendship slowly drifts apart as North takes a different path in life, leaving the speaker to wonder and find closure.

Carlson-Wee read aloud poetry from several sections of his book. Here are a few.

“Snow”: the speaker shovels snow in the winter and reflects upon North’s father, an alcoholic who needs support, and compares him with his own father and their relationship.

“The Family”: based on Carlson-Wee’s personal experience, the speaker sneaks into a diner and finishes the leftovers that other families leave behind, calling it his dinner.

“Living Alone”: drafted just before the COVID-19 pandemic, this poem highlights the feeling of loneliness.

“Lay it Bare”: this poem centers around the speaker’s reflections of his friend North, wishing they were together again after they had grown apart.

After the poetry reading, students engaged with Carlson-Wee in a Q&A. Copies of “Disease of Kings” were provided at a table outside the room, and students lingered to purchase a copy at the conclusion of the event.