Strange symbols spotted

Mysterious mark of vandalism appears around Biola’s campus.
Graffiti+found+around+campus%2C+this+one+being+at+the+Fireplace+Pavilion.+
Olivia Kam
Graffiti found around campus, this one being at the Fireplace Pavilion.

A peculiar graffiti image has been seen by many students all over Biola’s campus since the start of the 2023-24 school year. One is near the Fireplace Pavilion on the ledges enclosing the sitting area. There are two just outside Biola’s cafeteria. The most recent one that appeared is on a table in the patio outside Eagles Nest

These symbols are nearly identical to each other and look like a snake with five separate tails with what appear to be sparks shooting out from behind it. Underneath these markings are a single number and letters separated by a colon. Students are baffled by the meaning of these marks as well as the identity of the vandal.

CAMPUS SAFETY’S RESPONSE

John Ojeisekhoba, Campus Safety chief and associate vice president, revealed that the university has experienced graffiti problems and is addressing the current situation. The new graffiti appearing around campus are different from the past reports because they are coming from inside the school.  

“What we get with graffiti reports — it’s usually around the borders of campus like the South campus walls,” said Ojeisekhoba. “We notify the facilities management department and they come and clean it up. Another option is to notify the city of La Mirada, but we often will notify the facilities management department.”

He added that Biola has never had problems with graffiti coming from inside the school in the past. Since these markings are showing up near the center of the school on a regular basis, it is suspected that the vandal is from the university. Only certain people have access to entering campus with their IDs. 

“We have notified facilities management, you know, just like we would if it was on the borders of campus,” said Ojeisekhoba. “We are looking into it and if there’s any further updates, we’ll be sure to provide them.”