SGA Rundown: Senators discuss the upcoming spring dance

Senators fill out a survey and deliberate a block party proposal.

Hannah Larson, Editor-in-Chief

This week, the Student Government Association discussed goals for the semester and began planning the second annual spring dance.

SENATORS COMPLETE SURVEY

SGA President Christie Macris shared an accountability survey which all senators and staff filled out via QR code. Macris explained this anonymous mid-year check-in was meant to show Macris and SGA Vice President Andrew Cantelmi what they are doing well and what areas need improvement. Macris encouraged senators and staff to share constructive criticism and feedback with the Senate executives. 

After senators filled out the survey, Macris thanked them for serving Biola even if the progress they are striving for does not come to fruition this year. She explained that even if the senators are not here at Biola next year to reap the benefits of their work, they are still making an impact on students’ lives. 

SEMESTER GOALS RECAP

Macris discussed SGA’s goal to have representation of different groups in the Senate and noted that students of diverse majors and ages attended the SGA information night. She explained that students have been submitting a variety of proposals and that students are more informed about how SGA can spend the student fee. Macris thanked Vice President of Marketing and Communications Alyssa Walkup for promoting SGA on social media by advertising clubs and reposting events mentioned in the student newsletter. 

Senators brainstormed how to better promote the events already happening on campus rather than launching new events. One idea was to contact the Student Communications department for guidance on how small clubs can have their events promoted on the Biola app now that more current and prospective students are using the app. 

SPRING DANCE AND BLOCK PARTY

Walkup said that SGA will put on a spring formal with the help of Event Services on April 1. Senators shared a variety of concerns regarding the previous spring dance — it was in a small space, the choice of music was not diverse and there was not much water for attendees to drink — and made plans to avoid these problems this year by requesting a different venue on campus, giving students a QR code to scan and put in song requests and having an abundance of food and water available at the event. Macris suggested a ticket system so event organizers could have an idea of how many people would attend. 

Cantelmi requested $350 to pay for a block party at Hope Hall on Jan. 12 from 6:00-8:00 p.m. Cantelmi explained that Commuter Life and Housing and Residence Life teamed up to host the block party, which he described as an all-hall designed to welcome commuters back to campus. He noted that half of the students setting up would be commuters and the other half would be dorm residents. Hope Senator Andrew Ambrose motioned to pass the proposal in full and Alpha Senator Katrina Andrews seconded the motion. The proposal passed in full for $350.