Lynette Ruiz sets program record in the women’s 10,000m

Track and field competed in a three-day invitational, achieving records in multiple events.

Amanda Frese, Managing Editor

Track and field traveled to San Francisco to compete in the Mike Fanelli Track Classic—a three-day meet at San Francisco State University—last Thursday. During the competition, the Eagles set program records, achieved personal records and placed within the Top 10 of competitors in multiple events. 

SETTING RECORDS 

Freshman distance runner Lynette Ruiz commenced the first day of the competition by taking first place in the women’s 10,000-meter event, running 30 seconds ahead of the second place athlete. She recorded a time of 35:18.47 minutes, which set a program-record time.  

Ruiz returned to the track for the women’s one-mile race and took third place with a time of 5:09.1 minutes. Freshman distance runner Keira Coye also ran within the Top 10 of competitors, finishing with a time of 5:18.49 minutes. Following close behind, sophomore distance runner Kaela Berretta finished in eighth place with a time of 5:22.09 minutes.

PERSONAL BESTS

In the men’s 800-meter event, sophomore distance runner Aiden Arredondo took 17th place, achieving a personal record with a time of 1:56.53 minutes. Freshman distance runner Aidan Tomasini and freshman distance runner Will Durrance also achieved personal best times—Tomasini taking 19th place with a time of 1:57.05 minutes and Durrance taking 24th place with a time of 1:57.84 minutes. In the women’s 800-meter, senior distance runner Hannah Champness also championed a personal best with a time of 2:15.95 minutes and finished in 16th place. 

Track and field will return on Saturday, April 9 to compete in the Pomona-Pitzer Invitational in Claremont, California. Statistics and results from the Mike Fanelli Track Classic are available on the Biola Athletics website.