Women’s tennis beats Academy of Art

The Eagles defeat the Urban Knights 5-2.

Charlotte McKinley, Staff Writer

On March 24, women’s tennis played at home against the Academy of Art and won, 5-2. Women’s tennis is now back on track to start a second win streak.

EARNING DOUBLES

Determined to keep their at-home record perfect, the Eagles outdueled the Urban Knights in doubles despite tough matches.

Junior Ines Diaz and sophomore Gaby Carvajal ended their match first, scoring 6-2. Juniors Colbeyshae Emery and Mary Brascia ended second, defeated 3-6. Freshman Alexandria Mann and sophomore Brooke Fager’s match ended last with a Biola victory 6-4. 

PERFECT AT-HOME RECORD

In singles, Biola only allowed the Academy of Art to win two matches. Emery brought the first victory in singles, 4-1 after her opponent retired due to injury. Diaz lost her match 3-6 and 2-6, bringing Biola’s first loss of the game. In Brascia’s match, she beat her opponent 6-2 the first set, lost 4-6, then victored over her opponent 6-4. 

Sophomore Lilly McNeill lost her first match 4-6, but came back strong to defeat her opponent 6-2 and 6-2 in the following sets. Fager’s match finished next, scoring 7-6 and 6-3. Mann had three difficult sets with her opponent. She lost the first set 4-6, came back to win 6-1 but could not secure the victory, losing 5-7 in the final set. 

Biola won, 5-2.

Women’s tennis (17-1) will face off against Concordia University Irvine at home on April 2 at 10 a.m. Footage and stats from the game are located on the Biola Athletics website.