SGA Rundown: Senators discuss spring formal

Senators discuss student safety and semester goals.

Hannah Larson, News Editor

This week, the Student Government Association discussed goals for the spring semester and Title IX Coordinator Nallely Lopez gave a presentation about student safety. 

SPRING SEMESTER GOALS

Senators placed goals to increase interaction with constituents, aiming to promote SGA as a voice for the student body. Moving forward, senators said they want to serve their constituents by learning more about them individually. Senators also shared desires to better represent diverse communities at Biola, such as students with disabilities. 

STUDENT SAFETY 

Title IX program coordinator Nallely Lopez gave a presentation about the importance of immediately reporting hate crimes, bias incidents and sexual misconduct to Campus Safety as their response team is available 24 hours a day. She said students should submit any incidences of hate or discrimination to Biola’s hate or bias incident report form

Lopez explained that sexual harassment, assault, stalking, sexual exploitation and dating and domestic violence fall under Biola’s sexual misconduct policy

The Title IX office at Biola is a place for students to seek help for non-emergency incidents or ask questions. Lopez shared her desire that Biola provides a safe environment for students to grow and transform. 

SPRING FORMAL

Senators discussed plans for a spring formal and floated the idea of hosting the event at a golf course or country club. They explained their preference for an outdoor venue and continue to research catering options for outdoor locations. Senators raised the idea of providing drinks and dessert for attendees instead of a full meal. They also proposed reaching out to the Office of Campus Engagement for funding, advertising and additional workers.