SGA Rundown: Open proposals

Students request funds from SGA.

Hannah Larson, Staff Writer

Students asked SGA to fund a variety of proposals. This week, senators listened to several presentations and considered how much money to allocate.

WOVEN CONFERENCE

Students asked Senate to fund Woven, a spring leadership conference at Biola designed to help women weave their working lives and Great Commission together. They requested $2,000 to divide between speaker fees, welcome packages and facilities and staging costs. 

The one-day event focuses on supporting and celebrating women in leadership, especially in STEM and business. The presenters said they are considering submitting a proposal to give chapel credits to students who attend the whole conference. 

MOVIE PREMIERE AND TV

Cinema and media arts students requested $3,450 to go toward a blockbuster-style premiere of “Scripted,” a 30-minute sci-fi short film about tech startup entrepreneurs. They shared their vision of presenting the film alongside a behind-the-scenes documentary before a Q&A panel with the cast and crew. 

Their goal is to show the film in a 300-person theater with refreshments, decorations and an event photographer. The presenters explained they want to build a sense of community by inviting Biola students to experience the movie they produced. 

Stewart senator Richard Villarreal proposed to buy a new television for the Stewart lounge. He requested $900 to cover the cost of purchasing and shipping a 60-inch smart Samsung TV with Wi-Fi, apps and anti-glare technology. 

GRITMAS AND BOBA BAKE

GRIT leader and junior biological science major Zoe Taper requested $2,299 for feminine hygiene products, Hershey chocolate kisses, envelopes and cards, as well as paper bags to give to women experiencing homelessness. She explained that GRIT wants to include the whole Biola community in the conversation about women’s health. 

Sophomore business administration major Jovir Llanes and sophomore cinema and media arts major Elana Kline requested $900 for Boba Bake, a student-led bubble tea popup that would be on campus every two weeks. They said 50% of proceeds would support SEID and GSPD. They proposed to use the remaining funds to pay student workers and cover the cost of cups, straws, tea dispensers and varieties of tea and milk, among other expenses.