Men’s water polo compete in the Gary Troyer tournament

The Eagles finish 0-4 in their second tournament of the season.

Natalie Hernandez, Sports Editor

On Oct. 1-2, men’s water polo competed in the Gary Troyer tournament. On day one, the Eagles faced off against McKendree University and the Naval Academy, and on day two Biola matched up against Ottawa Arizona and Concordia University Irvine. The Eagles held their ground and put points on the board, but ultimately left the tournament, 0-4.

DAY ONE DISAPPOINTMENT

Despite the loss, the Eagles were able to add to the scoreboard in each match. Sophomore attacker Kenny Wulf and freshman goalkeeper Mitchell Carpenter continue to show success with the new team. Carpenter made a total of 12 saves in the very first match. Wulf made a total of five goals in the first match of the day against McKendree—a new record for goals made in a match for the sophomore attacker. The team made a total of eight goals but it was not enough as they lost, 10-8.

On Friday evening Biola faced off against the Naval Academy and lost 14-3. This was the lowest score of the weekend for the Eagles. The Navy pulled ahead in the first quarter making five goals while Biola was unable to get on the board. The Eagles were able to score four goals the rest of the match and freshman attacker Christian Trapp made his first goal of his college career.

SO CLOSE YET SO FAR

Day two showed improvement as the Eagles scored double digits for the second time this season against Ottawa Arizona. Biola was unable to make it on the scoreboard for the first quarter. The match came to life when the Eagles made four goals back-to-back in the fourth quarter. It looked as though Biola was going to catch up but ultimately lost, 13-10.