Coronavirus concerns prompt chapel changes

The 20-chapel requirement will remain in effect.

Chapels will move to a streaming format for the rest of the semester in light of COVID-19, according to a campus-wide email from Todd Pickett, dean of Spiritual Development and Mike Ahn, assistant dean of chapels and worship, this Wednesday. 

In the email, Pickett and Ahn said there are no cases of the coronavirus on campus and that there is no imminent threat to campus. The email said the changes are being made out of an “abundance of caution.”

STREAMING CHAPELS

The streaming policy will come into effect Monday, March 16, with the morning chapel session. In-person chapels will be suspended for the remainder of the semester, effective immediately. The 20-chapel requirement will remain in place.

“Since physical space is no longer a factor, attaining the required 20 credits is even more possible with the new format,” Pickett and Ahn wrote in the email. 

Each chapel will be streamed via a Canvas course that students must enroll in. All chapels except for AfterDark and Singspiration will be available for viewing. To receive credit, students will have to stream the video from beginning to end and complete feedback afterward. More information on how to receive credit will be explained during each stream.

Online chapels are not on-demand and can only be viewed during the following times: 

• Monday: 9:30 – 10:15 a.m. 
  • Tuesday: 9:30 – 10:15 a.m. and 5 – 5:35 p.m.
  • Wednesday: 9:30 – 10:15 a.m. 
  • Thursday: 5 – 5:35 p.m.
  • Friday: 9:30 – 10:15 a.m.

At this time, the changes only apply to chapels. However, more information regarding adjustments to Missions Conference and conference credits will be sent to students by the end of the week.