Biola tennis claims victory against Hope International University

Both men’s and women’s tennis won their second match in a row.

Senior+Allison+Torres+goes+into+hit+the+ball.+

Marlena Lang // THE CHIMES

Senior Allison Torres goes into hit the ball.

Zachary Devane, Deputy Sports Editor

Biola tennis had an outstanding day on Feb. 25 as both the men’s and women’s teams won in their matches against Hope International University at the Biola Tennis Center. The women won in a clean 4-0 sweep after securing the crucial doubles point early on. For the men, they only dropped one game on the way to their 4-1 victory.

DOUBLE TROUBLE

Both BU teams dominated from start to finish. On the ladies side, the Eagles started the day up 1-0 after they snagged the crucial doubles point, with the final match going all the way to 7-5. Then, freshman Colbyshae Emery, senior Lauren Lee and junior Lily Waterhouse all won their singles matches in straight sets to make the final score 4-0 in Biola’s favor.

In the three singles matches that ended early, sophomore Ines Diaz was tied in her second set before her game was declared unfinished, while senior Allison Torres and freshman Faith Grisham were both winning in the second set before their matches were also cut short.

“We played pretty poorly in the doubles,” said head coach Dave Goodman. “We played good when we needed to in the end, but we didn’t do ourselves any favors with the slow start. Singles [were] good, we turned it around and were energetic and played well.”

The men were just as convincing. The Eagles won the doubles point in just two matches then stayed in control throughout all singles matches. Sophomore Alexei Prokopchuk won his first set 6-0 and closed out his match with a 6-2 win in his second. Sophomore Andres Meneses won both his sets 6-2, while junior Quentin Lau won his two sets, 6-2 and 6-1, to secure the 4-1 win for BU over the Royals. 

“It was a good win even though we’ve had tough results with them, especially last year we lost against them,” Meneses said. “We came pretty strong, we’ve [had] a lot of confidence from the previous matches that we had and I think we showed that today on [the] court.”

Junior Logan Blair fought hard in his 0-2 loss, while senior Derek James and senior Edwyn Ramos were winning in their second sets before their matches were cut short due to Biola having already won.

The Eagles’ men (4-3) and women (4-5) will be back at the Biola Tennis Center to face Holy Names University on Friday, Feb. 28 starting at 1 p.m.