Men’s tennis narrowly misses out against University of California, San Diego

The Eagles suffered their first loss of the season by a one-point margin.

Zachary Devane, Deputy Sports Editor

Men’s tennis’s perfect start to the season came to an end in their 4-3 loss against University of California, San Diego. The two deciding matches were tight down the stretch, however after three games sophomore Andres Meneses lost his match and BU was eliminated.

DRAMATIC DOUBLES

The Eagles dropped a point in the doubles matches. The last match to finish was played by senior Edywn Ramos and junior Quentin Lau and ended 7-6, giving UCSD the early 1-0 lead.

“We definitely should have won the doubles, that would have given us that one point and it would have put us out on top,” said senior Derek James. “We were up on every single court, we just either got lazy or got loose and didn’t stay with it. We definitely should have had that [point], it just slipped away.”

Sophomore Alexei Prokopchuk decisively won his singles match after two sets, while James, who was winning in his second set, got the point for BU after an injury forced UCSD’s Neil Tengbumroong to forfeit. This made the score 3-2 in favor of the Tritons.

TIGHT ENDING

With the fate of the game hanging in the balance, BU was unable to capitalize. Meneses’s 6-1 loss in his final set gave UC San Diego a 4-2 lead, making it impossible for the Eagles to make a comeback. Junior Logan Blair closed out his match after three hard-fought sets, making the final score 4-3. 

“We had opportunities to take control of matches, and we just weren’t able to convert on those big opportunities, and that was the difference,” said head coach Dave Goodman.

The Eagles (2-1) will be back on the court on Monday, Feb. 10 at 4 p.m. to face Azusa Pacific University at the Biola Tennis Center.