Women’s golf misses out on PLNU Invitational

Loibl leads the Eagles to second-place win in San Diego.

Sasha Terry, Web Editor

Women’s golf traveled to San Diego, California to compete in the two-day outing at the Point Loma Nazarene University Sea Lion Invitational. The Eagles ended the event by placing second out of 11 teams with a final score of 621. 

On the first day of the event, senior Jules Loibl led the Eagles and set a new season best by earning a score of 72. Loibl picked up two back-to-back birdies in holes five and six to advance her final score. Sophomore Sami Penor shot two early bogeys on holes 13 and 14 to end the day with a final score of 75. 

Senior Alexis Gopfert followed close by scoring 79 points, one stroke off of her season best. Senior Tori Roeske won the event as an individual and picked up a season best by finishing with 80. 

The Eagles ended Monday by placing second by a score of 307 overall, just a few points shy of first place. Sonoma State University came won overall with a final score of 304.

Biola rounded out the last day of the invitational with a close win by Penor and Loibl finishing in the Top 10 overall. Loibl’s back-to-back birdies on holes 12 and 13 soared her to a score of 78 and an overall score of 150. She placed second overall and finished four strokes away from the Sonoma State winner. 

Penor’s four bogeys and eagle on hole eight led her to a seventh place finish overall after scoring a 77 and a total score of 152. Roeske continued play as an individual and picked up an 84. She won the individual event by a total score of 164. 

The Eagles ended the second day with a score of 314 and placed second overall with 621. However, Sonoma State grabbed the victory by 307 and a total score of 611. 

The Eagles’ next outing will be at the Tim Tierney Pioneer Shootout in Hayward, California on March 23.