Softball sweeps start of Concordia Kickoff Classic

Biola softball sparked their season opener with two shutout wins over Stanislaus State and CSU East Bay.

Andi Basista, Sports Editor

Biola softball began their 2020 season in Irvine, California on Friday morning where they soared to double victories in the Concordia Kickoff Classic. The Eagles brought home a 8-0 win against Stanislaus State in just five innings courtesy of the run-rule. BU continued to dominate in their second matchup of the day, defeating California State University, East Bay 2-0.

SWEEPING START

The Eagles came out firing in their first matchup verses Stanislaus State. A run by junior shortstop Ruth Munoz put BU on the scoreboard. The Eagles showed strong defense throughout the game—a factor in sending Stanislaus home early.

Junior pitcher Paige Austin struck out ten batters, only allowing form two singles and two walks all game. A run by senior outfielder Haley Martinez gave BU a 2-0 lead going into the third where the Eagles really started to take off. Senior catcher Kayla Neff, junior second baseman Kylie Velasco and Munoz each produced a run for BU. Between a home plate touch by Martinez, a run by freshman shortstop Rilee Ruvalcaba and sophomore first baseman Caitlin Fowble, the Eagles ended the game early thanks to the run-rule, sweeping Stanislaus 8-0.

Biola continued their scoring sensations into their second matchup of the day against CSU East Bay. Munoz brought in a run with help from Velasco, who tripled to left field. The second run came from Velasco after Neff singled to right field, putting BU up 2-0 at the end of the first inning. That was all the Eagles needed—the remaining seven innings were scoreless for both teams, granting Biola their second victory of the day, 2-0.

The Eagles (2-0) will return to the Concordia Kickoff Classic Saturday morning for another doubleheader verses California State University, Dominguez Hills at 10 a.m. and Chico State at 3 p.m.