Women’s basketball closes out Point Loma Nazarene University

The Eagles secured fourth place in the PacWest standings with a 81-73 win over the Sea Lions.

Zachary Devane, Deputy Sports Editor

Women’s basketball moved to a 10-4 PacWest conference record with their win over Point Loma Nazarene University on Wednesday evening. The 81-73 win was the Eagles’ third in a row, with a home matchup against Azusa Pacific University coming this Saturday.

Sophomore guard Stephanie Lee led the scoring with 26 points on 5-6 shooting from 3-point range. Junior forward Jazz Benn was not far behind, chipping in 15 points and nine rebounds while senior guard Tatum Brimley had 19 points.

A GAME OF RUNS

After a tight first quarter, the Eagles were down 19-17 at the start of the second. They turned the momentum around and went on a 25-3 run through the second half to earn a 42-22 lead at halftime. The scoring in this period was led by Lee, who contributed 13 points.

“I thought we played really well as a team, we moved the ball really well and our energy was really high,” Lee said. “We were just cheering each other on and supporting each other throughout the whole game.”

After halftime, the Sea Lions went on a run of their own, cutting the lead down to only 10 points with five minutes left. However, the Eagles’ 5-7 free-throw shooting down the stretch led to the 81-73 win.

TEAM SUCCESS

BU’s team shooting was also outstanding, knocking down 48% of both field-goals and 3-pointers throughout the game. They also had 34 bench points compared to the Sea Lions who had 18.

“Second quarter, I think Stephanie would be the first to tell you that her shots were routine shots because the team created them for her and she does the same thing for them,” said head coach Alan Nakamura. “It’s really great to see the way the team looks for each other and celebrates team success.”

The Eagles (14-6 overall, 10-4 PacWest) will face Azusa Pacific University in the Cornerstone Cup at Chase Gymnasium this Saturday, Feb. 1 at 5:30 p.m.