Crime Log — Jan. 17 – Jan. 27

This week’s crime log features one case of marijuana and numerous cases of trespassing, theft and vandalism.

Lacey Patrick, Deputy News Editor

Vandalism — Hope Hall

Reported Jan. 17, 1:30 p.m.

Facilities Management reported graffiti found inside Hope Hall. 

Vandalism — Creek Tunnel – La Mirada Boulevard

Reported Jan. 19, 4:39 p.m.

An officer observed the individuals going into the creek tunnel and saw one of them writing on the wall with what was later found to be a white paint marker. The vandalism was on the public property portion of the tunnel, so the case was referred to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

Petty Theft — Lot G 

Reported Jan. 19, 11:15 p.m., occurred between 11 p.m. and 11:13 p.m.

A student reported that their phone had been taken out of their unlocked vehicle. This is still an active investigation.

Trespassing — Sigma Hall 

Reported Jan. 21, 8:47 a.m.

A student reported a person loitering in front of Sigma Hall. The individual was unaware that they were on a college campus and was already leaving the campus by the time officers made contact. 

Trespassing — University Drive

Reported Jan. 21, 12 p.m.

An officer saw an individual smoking near the parking spaces in front of Blackstone Hall. The person had left the premises before officers made contact. 

Fire — Hart Hall

Reported Jan. 23, 9:39 p.m.

Residence Life reported food burning in the oven, but there were no signs of smoke or fire. A Resident Advisor had already turned the oven off and turned on a fan by the time an officer arrived. 

Attempted Grand Theft — Rosecrans Apt. 2

Reported Jan. 23, 10:43 p.m., occurred between Jan. 11 at 10 a.m. and Jan. 14 at 10 a.m.

A resident reported that the cable on their bike lock had been cut. However, the bike had also been secured with a U-lock, making the theft unsuccessful. This case is still active.

Vandalism — Rosecrans Apt. 1

Reported Jan. 24, 10:52 a.m.

A facilities employee reported a damaged key box that seemed to have been pried open. Officers said it was unclear whether the damage was intentional. This case is still an active investigation.

Disturbing the Peace — Hope Hall

Reported Jan. 25, 1:13 a.m.

A resident of Hope Hall reported people playing basketball on the court after hours. The officer made contact with the individuals and had them leave the court.

Trespassing — Alpha Hall 

Reported Jan. 25, 2:35 a.m.

An individual had followed a student into Alpha Hall, claiming he was visiting another student that lived there. Officers made contact with the individual and confirmed that he was indeed a visitor, but still gave him a trespass advisement and had him leave campus since it was 2:35 a.m.

Trespassing — Lot G

Reported Jan. 25, 8:11 p.m.

A Campus Safety personnel reported a suspicious vehicle. They made contact with the driver of the vehicle and determined he did not have a legitimate reason to be on campus. The driver was given a trespassing advisement.

Federal Marijuana Law Violation — Alpha Hall and Lot L

Reported Jan. 26, 7:11 p.m. 

Residence Life reported a marijuana odor coming from an Alpha dorm. During the course of the investigation, officers found marijuana in a vehicle in Lot L. The case was referred to Student Development

Trespassing — University Drive

Reported Jan. 27, 5:21 p.m.

A Campus Safety officer observed someone walk onto campus from the creek area. Officers made contact with the individual and determined they did not have business being on campus. The individual was given a trespassing advisement. 

Imitation Firearm — Lot G

Reported Jan. 27, 9:10 p.m.

Officers observed an imitation firearm in a vehicle in Lot G. Possessing an imitation firearm is prohibited by state law.