Men’s basketball cruises to home victory over Dominican

The Eagles won 67-45 behind their stout defensive effort and all around team scoring.

Zachary Devane, Deputy Sports Editor

Men’s basketball beat Dominican University of California, 67-45, on Saturday, Jan. 25. The Eagles were led by sophomore small forward Michael Bagatourian, who finished the game with 19 points and 12 rebounds. This was the team’s second victory in a row in the midst of a four-game home stand.

DEFENSE WINS GAMES

In the first half, BU’s defense caused problems for the Penguins, who shot only 16% from the field and 12.5% from 3-point range. The Eagles on the other hand, shot 38% from the field and 50% from deep which helped them jump to a 33-12 lead by halftime.

“We’re improving on the defensive end and, especially in the first half, we did some things that we haven’t always done,” said head coach Dave Holmquist. “We were taking away some penetration. Slipped a little bit in the second half, but it was still pretty good. First half was real good.”

The Eagles carried that first-half lead throughout the rest of the game and ended up winning by a 20-point margin, 67-45.

WINS FEEL GOOD

Bagatourian’s double-double made him leader in both points and rebounds on the night, while he also chipped in four assists. Sophomore guard Alex Wright stuffed the stat sheet, finishing with 17 points, five assists and six rebounds.

“We’ve had a lot of disappointing losses this year, a lot of them within [single-digits], so we are pushing for postseason,” Wright said. “We’re really focused, we’re all trying to push for that, and it shows in practice.”

The Eagles (12-7 overall, 8-5 PacWest) will take on Point Loma Nazarene University next Wednesday, Jan. 29 at 7:30 p.m. in Chase Gymnasium.