Men’s and women’s swim and dive earn second and third-place finishes

Though not quite able to earn the first-place prize, the Eagles competed well in the Biola Invitational.

Zachary Devane, Deputy Sports Editor

The Eagles competed in the Biola Invitational on Jan. 18, 2020, at Splash! La Mirada Regional Aquatics Center. They were up against seven other universities in their second-to-last meet before the conference meets in February. The men finished in second place, right behind Concordia University Irvine, while the women finished third, just ahead of Azusa Pacific University.

TRAINING PAYS OFF FOR MEN’S TEAM

On the men’s side, BU claimed first place in five events. Freshman Tanner Smith snagged two of those five with a 1:59.69 finish in the 200-yard individual medley and a 2:00.41 finish in the 200-yard backstroke. Freshman Gabe Weber won the 200-yard butterfly with a 1:59:31 time, while senior Raymond Kay had a time of 52.53 on the 100-yard butterfly. Freshman Jonas Huckabay finished at 1:59.31 on the 200-yard butterfly.

“We have come out of a pretty tough two weeks of training and everyone’s been really focused and getting after it,” said sophomore Westin Dawe.

WOMEN’S TEAM STICKS WITH IT

In the women’s events, the Eagles swam their way to four first-place finishes. They were led by freshman Liza Parahnevich, who finished with a time of 1:00.02 on the 100-yard backstroke and 5:10.53 on the 500-yard freestyle. 

In the 400-yard freestyle relay, Parahnevich teamed up with freshman Kellynn Hayes, sophomore Kasidee Pascoe and freshman Kolya Vos and finished at 3:41.36 for a first-place finish. 

“It’s good to be around six or seven teams and kind of get the feeling of that built-up, bigger invite,” said head coach Ryan Kauth.

The Eagles will be back in the deep end at Lansing Pool next Saturday, Jan. 25 at 11 a.m. to face Concordia University Irvine in their final meet of the regular season.