Women’s basketball blows out Dominican, 84-53

The Eagles took command over Dominican University in a 31 point victory.

Andi Basista, Sports Editor

Women’s basketball remains perfect in the PacWest conference (2-0) after an away matchup against Domincan University on Saturday evening. The Eagles came out firing right from the tip, and were able to maintain their control throughout all four quarters, defeating Domincan in thrilling fashion, 84-53.

Junior forward Jazz Benn went 6-8 shooting from the field, aiding her in 21 points for the night. Senior guard Kayla Macedo backed up Benn with 13 points, four rebounds and two assists. Sophomore forward Jana Thomas-Reid contributed 11 points along with both sophomore forward Danita Estorga and senior guard Jelissa Puckett who each earn 10 points of their own. Freshman guard Stephanie Lee was an unshakeable defensive force, grabbing nine rebounds on the night.

EXPLOSIVE EAGLES

The Penguins’ only lead of the night came by two points early on in the first quarter. However, the momentum quickly shifted to BU who took charge of the night, blasting further away from DU with the lead. A quick 21-12 lead help boost the team over the Penguins at the end of the first. The Eagles shot an outstanding 60% from beyond the 3-point arc during the first half, helping to advance themselves further ahead of Dominican, going up 46-26 into the locker room.

The third quarter recorded the largest lead of the night for BU, who topped the Penguins by 42 points. The Eagles kept up their intensity, even with Dominican scoring 23 of their 53 points from fastbreak offense. Yet, their quick transition was not enough to outperform Biola. The Eagles expelled dominance to close out the remainder of the game, 84-53.

The Eagles (6-2, 2-0) will look to extend their perfection in the PacWest conference at home on Tuesday, Dec. 10 against Hawaii Hilo University.